SW newbie

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wayne, depends on your audience....some beginners are very educated and able to decipher the information in Delbeek........I am only giving options....though I do agree that it may be over some heads.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
wayne said:
I would imagine that your current book is best ignored for saltwater as the methodoliges in it are dated and hard work.
Completely agree because I have that book and I believe it references the outdated method of using a UGF and doesn't mention LR anywhere.
I recently picked up The New Marine Aquarium and it's a great book.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Limi if you are referring to Delbeek ensure that you get vol 3......it is a great resource for water quality and the finer points of reefkeeping......by the time you get to delbeek you should have your own opinions of liverock etc.....

I agree it isn't a beginner book....that is definitely the realm of Paletta's book which is or should be the standard.......Fenner's book is really good too.......more on fish than on set ups.....and Eric Bornemans Coral Reef Husbandry is a great coral resource

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hey Lorna, I was actually referring to the book Silver Dollars referenced (The Aquarium and Pond Fish encyclopedia by David Alderton.) He had mentioned using that as a reference for start up.
But I will, however check out the Delbeek book as it sounds very interesting.
I just also purchased "The Consciensious Marine Aquarist" but haven't started into it yet. :)

RESEARCH ..RESEARCHRESEARCHbefore you do ANYTHING!! Thats the best advice anyone on this board can give you. Plus it will help you into not making any COSTLY mistakes. Saltwater aquariums can break your budget if you are not careful.
And those 2 books that were recommended above.... The New Marine Aquarium and the Conscientious Marine Aquarist are my Aquarium Bibles. Good Luck with your setup.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
A good research plan:

Read those books we recommended. Then formulate a plan. Once you have a plan then bring it to the forum. Listen to the objective critics as there will be some. Go to the local lfs and check them out. Don't believe anything they say unless what they are telling you is similar to that which you have read and heard here.....if something sounds out of whack it is. But if you hear something strange, again, post it here as we allneed a good laugh every once in a while, just make sure you tell us you heard it at an lfs.....we will then set you on the right course......after all we have no financial interest in whether your tank makes it or not....but we want you to succeed.

Ok i am reading some information on starting up the SW tank, so far i have learned to clean it out with freshwater(once you get the tank, woth nothing in it) and a sponge, Put the stand into place and level it, being sure to leave clearance for electrical connections and equipment, put an underpad under the tank, then level the tank, Prepare all the equipment to be used and install it.

Step 2.

Fill the aquarium with prepared saltwater solution, start all the equipment and let it run for a day.

Step 3.

N/A

Step 4.

Live rock can be in the tank during cycle PRE-CLEAN BEFORE ADDING. I will post the other things that i have learned in a minute:):):)