SW Nooby questions... by Eman :p

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
So, I got the AquaC Remora with the Maxi Jet 1200. I got it for $170 with taxes at this one LFS. The guy at the checkout was telling me I made a good choice, and that's it's an incredible skimmer. :D

I was looking at the corals, and they've got ridiculously good prices on the stuff! The LFS I got the skimmer from had some frags for $4. This other LFS that's ordering a refractometer for me had some amazing prices on other corals too. They've got fiji live rock for $4.99/lb and it's cool looking! There were some other salty guys there when I was asking questions, and they were giving me lots of advice. :)

Another LFS I went to had live rock for $3.49/lb, but it doesn't look so nice. I may get a couple of big base pieces there, and the rest from the 2nd LFS I went to.

I ended up getting 2 19" LCD tv's from Circuit City today (Out of Business Sale) for $200 each... so I'll have to wait till I get my tax refund before I can continue to get some of the other stuff.

Oh, yeah. According to the guy from the 2nd LFS went to, it'll be difficult for me to get a good 30" T5HO light fixture because most companies make in the US only make them 'whole foot' in length... so I'll probably get a 36" fixture.

Anywho, I've got a lot of homework to do tonight... along with some fish to move.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yeah, lighting doesn't need to happen for a while. You can probably use a spare freshwater fixture to look at the rock while it's cycling.

You may be able to get away with a 24" fixture if you put lower light corals at the ends of the tank. We have a 4' fixture over a 5' tank, and it's fine as long as I don't put the high light corals at the ends.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
I think the mounting legs are adjustable. I'm more than likely going to have a glass canopy to help control some evaporation as well, since my two open-topped tanks tend to evaporate rather quickly.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
I was looking at the corals, and they've got ridiculously good prices on the stuff! The LFS I got the skimmer from had some frags for $4. They've got fiji live rock for $4.99/lb and it's cool looking!
Sounds like I need to make a road trip! The only place I can find corals are in Tyler and they are $20/frag at one place and about $50 at the other LFS.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Wow, that's intense. The good thing about living in the fourth largest city in the US, availability/supply.
The $4 frags were quite small, but they had nice looking corals. They also had some frags between $10-20, and they were pretty amazing, IMO. I haven't checked out Fish Gallery, but I can already assume that, as always, they're prices are going to be marked up.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
So I finally got a refractometer, it's a Milwaukee.

My brother is moving out in about a week, and I'll be taking his room (but leaving the freshwater tanks in my old room)... so I'm thinking about celebrating by getting a biocube, because I think they look AWESOME. Maybe my new room can be my SW tank room, while my old room can hold my freshwater, planted tanks.

I haven't put much thought into it though. So hopefully when I'm not in an inebriated state, I could think it through more. :)

Now I'm off to maybe try to sleep... My dog and I keep sneezing, could we both have allergies?:rolleyes:

Goodnight... :eek:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Agh, I keep forgetting what else I have to buy, since I keep losing the notes I make... and the sketches I doodle, haha.

Refractometer (Milwaukee)
Protein Skimmer (Remora C w/Maxi Jet 1200)
Koralia 1 Powerhead (x2)
RO/DI Water
Marine Salt Mix
Aragonite Sand
Live Rock
Lighting

I think I'll be getting the Marine Salt Mix and Aragonite Sand this weekend.

Last edited:

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
You will probably need 1 more Koralia Powerhead if you want good flow. I have 1 Koralia 1 in my 29gal now and its not enough. I'm ordering the Koralia 3 for the other side from here.
Do you not have the option to buy the ROI water with the salt already pre-mixed? If so, I would do that. You will have less algae issues in the end and less headaches, and spend less money.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I bought a bunch of 5 gallon bottles from culligan and filled my tank then took all the bottles back....then I went and bought a bunch of 5gallon jerry cans.....used to get my ro water at the grocery....after hauling water for 2 years I finally broke down and bought my own ro/di system......

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Hmm... I'm considering changing my plans a bit.

I'm thinking of maybe leaving the 29g as a freshwater planted, and getting a bigger tank, in the order of 40-55g that's reef ready, and using the 20g as a sump. I'm hitting up one of my LFS later today and see if they have anymore used reef ready tanks, if not, I'll be lurking craigslist several time a day. :p

I'll post my decision within the next couple of weeks, and then modify my plans and ask for opinions accordingly. :)

EDIT: On another note... I had gotten one of these filters at Petco for $5 (clearance sale, yay!) a while ago, and was wondering if this water is acceptable to use for top offs? Or, would I be better off just keeping a supply of ro/di water from the lfs until I get my ro/di unit?

Last edited:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
:D

I decided to go bigger! The only reef ready tanks I found at the LFS were a 75 and 26g. The 26g was a bowfront, and it looked awesome! So I decided on a 40something reef ready bowfront tank. It'll be a very slow build though. I've gotta find a tank, first. :)