SW tank

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
hehe i just found some in western mass from one of my local dealers, he is gonna give it to me for 3$/lb cured and thats the good stuff!!!
Brahm

Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
Dattack just checking that site... ww.exocticfish.com just wondering if you got any live rock from them? and if so are you happy with it???

also..... im thinking about getting the turboflotar 1000 skimmer, does anyone have any input on this skimmer?? its in my price range under 200 so if anyone knows of a better skimmer for the buck feel free to chime in!

i figured it out

45 lbs of fiji premium LR from doctor foster is :$183 shipped second day

44lbs of fiji premium LR from www.exoticfish.com is $180 shipped over night fedex

Last edited:

grazhopr

Small Fish
Jan 19, 2004
Visit site
If you´re thinking about setting a fish only tank, dead rock should suffice. You can seed the rock with some sand from another tank (maybe a friend´s or from your LFS).
One tip, you may want to trade those damsels in the near future, if you want to stock your tank with other fish like tangs, buttrflies, etc. Damsels are very mean to other tankmates, in general. Mostly if they´re the first residents. They can be real bullys.
You may want to read about fish you want to buy, to get familiar with particular dietary needs and husbandry (take tangs again for example, they are algae grazers in nature, so they´ll need a consistent supply of sea weed, and also some special dietary suplementation to keep their color and health). Also, you need to get familiar with specific water quality for the fish you want to keep. Some fishes are more sensitive to wide pH changes, for instance. You may want to find out about what fish is more tolerant to water quality fluctuations (another example). That may keep you from wasting money in expensive fish, and going thru a very much frustrating experience. Plus, you won´t sacrifice an animal over miseducation (I mean this in the best way...We have to think responsably about those little animals). So, for many many reasons, It´s good that you investigate about the fish you want. It can also help you plan better your aquascaping (like, to have enough space to swim for fishes like tangs, for example). Tangs are a good choice for a Fish only or for a reef, BTW. I love them !!!

I hope this helps a little!

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Originally posted by OceanNwisconsin
Dattack just checking that site... ww.exocticfish.com just wondering if you got any live rock from them? and if so are you happy with it???

also..... im thinking about getting the turboflotar 1000 skimmer, does anyone have any input on this skimmer?? its in my price range under 200 so if anyone knows of a better skimmer for the buck feel free to chime in!

i figured it out

45 lbs of fiji premium LR from doctor foster is :$183 shipped second day

44lbs of fiji premium LR from www.exoticfish.com is $180 shipped over night fedex
They have like eight 300 gallon bins holding live rocks from different places. The rocks I have seen there are pretty decent but it's a hit and miss with "box" live rock from either dr. foster or exoticfish. Because they do not open the box to see what rocks they are shipping to you. It usually comes direct from the islands and they ship it out to you. I believe Dr. Foster's live rock come from the LA area too.
How much does www.premiumaquatics.com cost? They supposedly have pretty good customer service.

grazhopr

Small Fish
Jan 19, 2004
Visit site
Premium Aquatics is excellent! I have bought almost everything from them, except my RODI unit which I got a better deal from a different supplier. I think they´re live rock is in the average price range (4-6 $/lb). You need to check anyways.

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
sounds like your tank is between 90g and 110g.I was looking at a large tank but after researching i figured I would start small till i got the hang of SW.Was wanting a tank for along time now i got 1 and may get more into it down the road.Like to get a 100g if the wife lets me lol,of course then i have to convince her to let me get a shark ;0)
A real good book to get for fish diets and habitate needs is called "Marine Fish" by Scott W. Michael. real good book with 5 steps of care,each fish is broken down into a care group from beginers to expert.

Last edited: