Switching 38 Gal. Cichlid tank to Saltwater tank!

fishkid64

Large Fish
Jul 8, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hey all you salters! I am wondering what would i have to do to change my 38 gal. cichlid tank into a saltwater tank!

what i currently have in my fish tank is;

Substrate: Playsand
Decorations: slate rock, and lava rock, i also have coral rocks from my dad's old tank that i would put in.
Lighting:Odessey 96 Watt. 50/50 half 10000k and half blue atnic
Filter:Aquaclear 50 filter

If you need any other information just feel free to ask!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Check out the stickies at the top about what you need to set up a SW tank. A 38g is a nice size to start out with. Pretty much, you'll need live rock, a skimmer (probably), powerheads for water movement (you can use your existing filter with no media for this, maybe with one extra powerhead), salt (obviously) and hydrometer or refractometer, and SW test kits. The rest of the equipment that you already have should work.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I would personally get rid of the sand, get a 40lb bag of fine reef stuff...get a few powerheads take the media out of the filter and buy some pieces of live rock...lighting should be fine for lower light corals.

fishkid64

Large Fish
Jul 8, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
thanks, but i wasn't really going to do like a "reef tank" i was just going to do a saltwater tank with fish like damsels, tangs, maybe a lion fish if i could get him in there, and my all time favorite saltwater fish the royal gamma.

The rocks i was talking about aren't live coral, they're just like the dead coral rocks.

plus i do have crushed coral substrate from my dads old sw tank.

So knowing this how much of that do i really need to do!

Thanks all help is extremely appreciated! *twirlysmi

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
you should still not used crushed coral, fine dry reef sand will be good, no tang can be in a 40, or any regular size lion, a dwarf would be ok, they are messy though. you will still need live rock, even if you dont want a "reef" it will make your life easier. you should pick up a book, "the new marine aquarium" is a good starter...check ou the stickies too.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A good starting point is the stickies. Saltwater tanks are not run like fresh, but you have some stuff there that can be recycled. The gramma is a good choice, damsels can be terribly aggressive (even by mbuna standards) and the lion might well eat the gramma.

fishkid64

Large Fish
Jul 8, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
lol ahh lion fish, when my dad had his he got it when he was small, so when he would go to clean the tank it would just hide, but when it started getting bigger he would get scared because it would puff its funs out at him, and such!*laughingc

God those things are cool!

I guess had i put those fish together i would have had a "hell hole"

Thanks!

fishkid64

Large Fish
Jul 8, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
oh yea sry lol, i guess i'll read up more see what other people say.

But wat about keeping a Blue tang, a clown fish, a yellow tank, and a royal gramma, together.

P.S. it would be a finding nemo tank

YAY!!!

Thanks so much for all your help, i hope me asking all of these questions isn't annoying you too much, Thanks though!

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Tangs get too big for 40's really, except maybe a small yellow or kole, and even then they will be cramped and may well be terribly aggressive. Blue tang , no way, they jst get cramped and die prematurely

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
With a clownfish and a royal gramma, a great choice would be a dwarf angel. Great colors and personality, and lots to choose from. I also highly recommend a fairy wrasse... again, lots of color and activity, and they are peaceful with everything. Pretty much anything small and peaceful would work with a clown and royal gramma.