Switching to 77g

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok i'm going to get a 77g, 'cause i can't find any 55g anymore, even perfecto ones...they don't make those anymore...superb. Bought a 200$ stand for nothing..altough i think my 55g will be transformed in a paludarium.
There's a 4 feet long, 77g Hagen.. i'm interested...there's no center brace, yeah and the glass is thick.
Anyone had problems with Hagen tanks ?
I contacted Miracle aquariums and they said they could make a custom for me...too $$$ so..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
the glass is thicker and the tank isn't much higher than my current 55g.
it's like a 8mm glass.
Seriously, i badly need one right, and there's not much choices except larger perfectos available. I called everywhere, sent emails and all. My tank's water level is low.
I don't plan to drill this one..would have bought a pre-drilled aga but nothing available really quickly..my upper sump will hopefully do the job.
Anyways tomorrow i'm gonna check, and i might take a metal stand. I think my wood stand is curving a bit...and that's why the thin glass is cracking.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I went to the store...beautiful tank. I tought my stand would finally fit the 77, since it's 15,6" wide...my stand is almost 15" only, and i don't wanna try breaking the new one or put some plywood between the stand and the tank.
I measured the tank at the stores, it's 48.3"x15"6x24.5" . I was wrong with the thickness...it's even thicker. 0.9 cm front panel, 1.2 cm side. There was a 58g that would fit on my stand, but the glass thickness is 0.6 cm , but there's a 5" difference between the height.
Anyways, it's 210$ CDN + 15.6 % tax, kinda pricy for just the tank alone, but it's not standard Hagen, it looked more luxurious and harder to break than what other tank i saw. This one has no brace, but it looked unbendable and it's more thick than Oceanic tanks i saw.
I'll take it tomorrow, and i saw a 4'X18" stand at bigals for 149$, wich is cheap compared to the stand at this place. The stand was 450 $$ !!! Quite frankly, this high priced stand sucked. So for 360 $ i would have a brand new setup. One more stressful night and i'll be happy

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well i bought it...the last "old school" thick glass without brace. the new model was thinner with a huge metal brace. My back is hurting, it's so heavy.
Tomorrow's the day i get my stand. I found a massive all pine stand at bigals for 180 $ CDN..

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok well the stand is bought, not all pine, nothing was available even if they told we it was. Bought 30 pounds of fine caribsea agaronite too.
Ok now do i risk another cycle, due to a future massive death of crushed mini organisms + 30 pounds of new substrate ? I may use some Prime

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yeah that's what i tought at first, but when i setup my 10g sump, i added like 10 pounds of sand + 4 pounds of travertine rocks + coral rubbles from the tank and i got an ammonia spike. My bio filtration wasn't strong enough i think. It was short but scary