T5's or VHO

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
its a kind of metal halides,
Well, there are a lot of schools of thought on the relative merits of each bulb. HQI bulbs require electronic ballasts, pendants with glass lenses (as these bulbs are not UV shielded, like mogul or medium base variety bulbs). I have read a number of studies that imply that a 150w HQI in a well-designed pendant (I use and really like the ReefOptix 3 by Sunlight Supply), can yield a higher PAR value than some 400w medium base bulbs...The implication here is that if you combine a good ballast, a fine pendant, and a quality bulb (such as the Aqualine 10000k or Ushio), you can have the PAR value of a higher wattage bulb, with greater electrical efficiency. On the down side, it seems like there are fewer bulb choices of bulbs in the HQI format, as compared to medium or mogul base bulbs-but this is changing all the time!>

thats from Scott F. at wetwebmedia, they are much more educated than me hope it helps

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
check this!! i just got back from the LFS, this guy has 2 250w MH 2 ballasts and 2 reflectors for $300. The only kicker is that they are used(no big deal) and they are 20000k (lots of blue?). Should i jump on it? Could i replace just the bulbs to be 10 or 12 k's and still use same ballast and housing. Im really not sure at this point if the K's matter. should i not pass this deal up? sounds like a steal...any thoughts?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i believe (and someone will correct me if i am wrong) 20000k bulbs have a special ballast so you probably couldn't try different spectrum bulbs with that ballast down the road...but yes, that is a great deal

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
STOKED!!! just got back from the LFS, talked the guy down to $250 for 2 ballast, 2 250 watt bulbs, and 2 reflectors and cords.These lights are like new only like 48 hrs on them.

So they are going in now, so i just need to watch the temp? Will algae take off with new lights if my nitrates are still high? i will build the refugium next week to help with the nitrates and ultimatly corals and clams.

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
hmm...so get the refugium up quick? to help with algae? or can i buy something to stop that also whats a good fish that likes algae....lost blue tang and yello-eyed tang they seemed to like the algae.

Also temp seems to be going up. should i put the glass on so the heat is trapped in the hood and sucked out with a fan? chiller gonna set me back to much now, also need to concentrate on nitrates?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
how about a big water change for the nitrates...that will temporarily solve that problem (but you still need to find the source)...putting the glass on will not help with the heat issue. how close are your bulbs to the tank? at least 6in away is best for light coverage and heat reduction. are you running fans?

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
rigging some old computer fans to 9volt battery.....just bored gotta find something better......any ideas? bulbs are about 4 incehs from water can't get ant farther

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
really? I thought they were generally interchangeable except that the 20000k required a special ballast...but as stated, I do not use MHs (yet)...of course I do not recall where I heard/read that either