Talk of baby shrimp, started thinking...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Well I came home today and noticed that his Stomach is noticably green. Now that there green does thi smean he will soon be laying the eggs?

When he lays them will they change color again, or just hatch. Also how long will that tend to take, a few weeks?

I think I may have to set up that QT soon because of that emerald crab and his possible destruction of the eggs. Do you think hell be a problem?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
good sign ! Green is good. Well i waited 2 to 3 weeks before seing the kids...the "mom" is probably active during the night. In a couple of weeks, if your belly-filled shrimp doesn't eat at all, it's a sign that babies are gonna be there the next day or so.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
well the green eggs are still in his stomach... does it ussually take this long for him to lay eggs or is something wrong?

I may just get a fish and forget about trying to raise the baby shrimp, just let them have them and cretae food for some fish.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
o, I ve been waiting to come home and see his stomach empty and see them garding a nest... Ill start looking. Yea as you can see the fry have little chance unless I get real seriouse about it, but I think Im gonna add some fish soon so...

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
is there a way to differentiate between pods and baby shrimp? I see alot of critters roaming around but I feel that there most likely pods and not baby shrimp, is there a way to tell, there like 1/8cm big.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
pods crawl, baby shrimps swim around rocks. Pods have antenaes looking like bunny's ears. I found that pods are a little darker than my baby shrimps.
I tried to take pics of my biggest shrimp, but i couldn't focus.
I think there are less fry than before, but now some reached like 1 cm.
My pump sucked some of them in my sump, and this is were they seem better in there...less waterflow, decaying caulerpa to graze on ( hope so ), travertine rocks with plenty of holes to hide and pods...i saw one eating a pod..must have been dead before, the pod was bigger than the shrimp.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
ok then what I was seeing were pods, because they were crawling on the substrate and rocks, not really swimming around them. But I added my coral beauty today so idk if ill even see the babies if they ever do come out of Mac ahah