tank cycling with fish

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Would like to check in with all of you on the progress of my tank, just to be sure I'm on the right track and doing everything I should be.

Have been doing daily ammonia and nitrite levels since day 8 of the tank with daily WC's (with treated water) of about 20-25%. Should've started sooner....what can I say, I was new and stupid and didn't know any better:( Started also checking daily nitrate levels on day 15 of the tank. For the past 3 days these have been the levels: ammonia slightly above .50, nitrites .25, and nitrates 12.5. I've done 15% daily WC's. Any suggestions of what I should be doing differently, would be appreciated! Thanks!

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Well, it really doesn't give much specific info about it other than mentioning the fact that it's a "pump-filtration assembly" with a Bio-Wheel. It's made by Marineland. I don't know enough about the different kind of filters to be able to tell you much more than that.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I've learned from others on this site to not change the filter cartridge while cycling a tank. Unfortunately, before I found that out, I followed the instructions with the aquarium and changed it after the first week. I haven't touched it since then.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
lauraj said:
Would like to check in with all of you on the progress of my tank, just to be sure I'm on the right track and doing everything I should be.

Have been doing daily ammonia and nitrite levels since day 8 of the tank with daily WC's (with treated water) of about 20-25%. Should've started sooner....what can I say, I was new and stupid and didn't know any better:( Started also checking daily nitrate levels on day 15 of the tank. For the past 3 days these have been the levels: ammonia slightly above .50, nitrites .25, and nitrates 12.5. I've done 15% daily WC's. Any suggestions of what I should be doing differently, would be appreciated! Thanks!
So, back to my original question.....Anybody? Please? :D