TANK MATES

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
My Lima Shovelnose is going in a 45 gallon ( old i know)its 36 long, 12 deep, and 25 high. I just can't figure out what else to add. I thought about adding a Tiger shovelnose.  I know they get big( real big) but i can get some that are about three inches from work.  I also thought about pacu, gold nugget pleco, peacock bass, and arawona.  Not all of these together in the tank at once.  I know better then that.  Any suggestions welcome. *twirlysmiley*

Psari

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wow, it sounds like you have a tank just like mine!  I have a 90 gallon tank, with a variety of fish.  I bought my Lima about 6 months ago, when he was 5 inches long.  He is now about 9 inches.  His tankmates are... (1) 6 in. Iredescent Shark, (2) 6in. Pictus Catfish, (1)5 in. Jurapari, (1) 4in. Angelfish, (1) 7 in. Pleco, (2) 5 in. Bala Sharks, and (2)small Cory Catfish.  

I find that the Lima minds it's own business.  He swims around alot, but I never see him eat.  He likes to come out at night, so don't the other cats.  The problem that I am going to run into, as you might, is that your tank may get too small for the fish.  I have accepted the fact that I may have to get rid of some fish so that the Lima can live.  My suggestion is that you go with something that does not fit in the Lima's mouth... like a pleco or a Jurapari (Love them).  Jurapari's are a type of cyclid.  They are very active.

*celebratesmiley*

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
Thanks for the suggestion. My lima was bought when he was probably about 4 inches. Now 3-4 months later he has about doubled in size.  Heres the new update, i got a tiger shovelnose! 8)  It is bad ass for only being three inches long. He already ate a minnow that was about 1.5 inches. Suprised me( kind of...no..not really)!I am kind of affriad of puting my lima with the tiger. For fear of the lima trying to eat the tiger. :-/  Anyway, suggestions still welcome *celebratesmiley*

Psari

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I actually have to agree... my feeling is that the tiger will actually grow faster than the Lima.  I hate to say that "you need 1 gallon per inch of fish", but the thing to remember is that it is very important to let the fish swim freely.  The Lima will probably not eat the Tiger.  Remember, catfish have spines, and they're not stupid.  
I would let the Tiger get to the same size as the Lima, then cut back on the food.  The more you feed them, the faster they'll grow.  I've seen fish grow inches in a matter of a few weeks.  
Also, both catfish produce large amounts of skin mucus.  It will actually clog your filter, so make sure you have adequate filtration ~300-400 GPH.  I think that the Marinelands work great.  Also, try not to feed them too many live fish...they carry alot of diseases.  Make it a treat.

;)

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
I knew that they made body mucus.  I thought i read somewhere that they only did it when stressed.  My lima has only done it twice, when he came home and i turned the light on to earily in the day. He doesn't like it much.  My tiger has yet to shed any mucus and i really ned to work on beefing him up.  Hes got some ich and looks to me alittle thin.  don't want him to die.

FISHGUY33

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i wouldnt try it because the fact of the arowana they get way to big way to fast if you had the other fish without  the arowana it would be ok most people make the mistake of buying an arowana and thinking a 40-55 gal tank can hold them most people need a 100 gal tank just for one the arowana gets to about anywhere from3 to 5 feet so if you plan on getting an arowana plan on getting a huge tank fishguy33 *thumbsupsmiley*