Tank Stocking

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
Since my tank is close to being fully cycled i was looking through the Whats in your tank thread and am wondering what a good clean up crew would be for my tank size. If it helps i plan on having a pair of perc clowns and that is about it.

Jan 26, 2007
Wimington, NC
You can never have to many snails. I'd say a good start would be about 20 margaritas, astreas and maybe one mexican grazer. Also about 10 blue leg hermits. Do you plan on ordering online or LFS? I suggest liveaquaria.com or saltwaterfish.com i've ordered cleanup crews from both with no complaints.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I would say a cleaner shrimp or two. I have a skunk and a blood fire shrimp. I also have a emerald for my bubble algae issue, but they need meaty foods too so don't forget about'em. I only have about 4 hermits because they just kill each other so I haven't added any more. Nassarius snails are good for left over detris and meaty foods.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
RedfireStang said:
You can never have to many snails
IMO this is not true.. if you have too many snails they will eventually starve to death ;)

with that said id prolly start off with about 10-15 snails (assorted)
same for hermits
1 emerald crab
maybe a peppermint shrimp or 2
and than id wait and see how they do before adding a brittle star and a cleaner shrimp ;) and if u still have algea get more snails ect...

Last edited:

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
today i went to my lfs and got 2 mexicans 3 margaritas 3 blue leg hermits and 1 scarlet hermit. Just to start out, i am probably going to be adding more stock for cleaning every couple of days. The reason i did so little was just to see if they would survive. With my luck they would all just drop dead!! 2 questions tho, is it normal for the mexicans to go to the top of the tank and hang alittle out of it(my water is a little low i got to go to walmart and get some ro)? AND do the magaritas frequently sleep? Sometimes i poked my and they werent sticking to what they were on. Put when i touch then they would react so i know there not dead. Im going to try to get some pics up later. Thanks for all the help.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Flowerkid said:
Just to start out, i am probably going to be adding more stock for cleaning every couple of days.
I'd wait a little longer than that, a week at least. Many people recommend waiting a month between fish, and at least a week between snails/crabs.

Yes, sometimes the snails hang out at the water line, and sometimes they rest.

Test your water in a few days, just to make sure everything is OK.