TetraTEC 300 and 500

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Has anyone played with the TetraTEC line of filters? they just arrived at my LFS last week and they look quite interesting, not to mention a funky design.  it's concept is basically a wet-dry Aquaclear, which works similar to the Eheim wet-drys (fluctuating water level in the filter box)  Also a neat feature is the built in heater attachment in the filter.

dork187

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i  havent seen them in any of the stores near me yet but i saw them on the tetra website
you can also adjust the flow for feeding time

http://tetra-fish.com/tour/index.html
<flash enabled>

looks like a very nice design
i am going to get one...
as soon as i can afford to

Oct 22, 2002
I own the 300 and to be honest with you,  so far so good.  It is like having a wetdry all in one not to shabby for the cost.  But the replacement cart.  are very costly if you ask me about 5 dollars each.
 The ammount of water flow is quite amazing,  it keeps my fish tank perrrrrfectly clear.  Waste is just about down to zero and my tank is quite full of all kinda of stuff.

Sonofseattle :p ;D

Oct 22, 2002
I bought the 300.  About the only thing I dont like about it is that it sounds like a coffee maker gurgling.  I bought the optional heater which works excellent.  The temperature in the tank doesnt budge.  As far as costs for the filter paks.  I've seen them online for $5.00 for a 4-pack.

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=The_Beach link=board=equipment&num=994991541&start=0#3 date=09/15/01 at 20:22:13]
I bought the 300.  About the only thing I dont like about it is that it sounds like a coffee maker gurgling.  I bought the optional heater which works excellent.  The temperature in the tank doesnt budge.  As far as costs for the filter paks.  I've seen them online for $5.00 for a 4-pack.
[/quote]

Yep, thats the siphon sound it makes. Its annoying to me, so i don't know if ill use one (thinking about replacing an aquaclear 300 on a 55). I used to work with them occaisionally at Big Als... lets just say they break easy :-/

Oct 22, 2002
*thumbsdown2* I bought the 300 from "That Fish Place" last week because of a sale+rebate it was only $5 more than the Whisper 3 I replaced (4 yrs old).  I do not like it.  
What I do not like:
  • The lid is warped and does not fit square so it rattles and hums
  • The intake tube and impeller do not fit snugly into the housing/energiser like the "3"
  • There is VERY little room for overflow (I mean if the filters were to clog the "3" has a "Spillway" that returns unfiltered water back into the tank instead of on the floor, on the Tetra-Tec 300 that spillway is only ~1/8" vs 3/8" on the "3"
  • the poor quality of the energiser/impeller fit causes the "pump" to be about twice as loud as my "Whisper 3" (they are the same flow #'s)
  • Finally my neon's do not like all that surging and noise (it is quite loud).
What I do like
  • The filters are cheap (~1.25 in bulk from "T.F.P.)
  • It uses 2 filters for primary filtering and two in series behind that so when you service the unit two are allready biologicaly "loaded"
  • The heater thing works well
-
Sorry for the length, I cant return it but I am going to write Tetra and ask them to exchange it for a old Whisper 3.
RGDS

Oct 22, 2002
I agree, it is very loud.  But the real question is, does the setup allow for better filtration of the water?  Does the living filter improve the water conditions?  

Oct 22, 2002
*thumbsupsmiley*I love this filter even more than my old biowheels that keep the water sparkling. The promblem with the biowheels is you can't aim the water so the currunt is strong but the tetra lets you aim it wherever you want. *celebratesmiley* Plus the heater attachment is very nice, but you have to be careful to push it in all the way or the pressure won't build up *laughingcryingsmiley*