The 1 inch per gallon rule

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Are you sure that's true of higher plants. It certainly is not true of algae. Algae can, and ppreferably metabolise ammonia rather than nitrate

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Not in my experience or education, Pure.

My understanding is that ammonia doesn't persist long enough due to its volatility. Can you direct me to some literature so that I might become better informed?

I really am doubtful about the perception that plants (even non-vascular algae) use ammonia directly. The chemistry of what you're describing doesn't work-out on paper for me.

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Etheostoma said:
Not in my experience or education, Pure.

My understanding is that ammonia doesn't persist long enough due to its volatility. Can you direct me to some literature so that I might become better informed?

I really am doubtful about the perception that plants (even non-vascular algae) use ammonia directly. The chemistry of what you're describing doesn't work-out on paper for me.
From Rex Grigg: http://www.rexgrigg.com/./cycle.htm
Then it was discovered that by setting up a tank and filling it full of fast growing stem plants that one could add a medium to large fish load all at once and never see the traditional ammonia or nitrite spikes. The reason for this is simple. The plants love ammonia. So it never gets a chance to kill the fish.

From another site: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm
The Bio-filter bacteria convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrates. Plants can use all three of those as their source for nitrogen. In fact, ammonia is the preferred nitrogen source for plants. If you add plants to a tank with an established bio-filter, the plants will actually use up some of the ammonia before the bacteria can convert it.

These are just two credible sites that I found while Googling. I'm sure there are plenty more, but I haven't looked further.

:)

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
SkwidsLair said:
So, does this mean that by adding a live plant, it can actually help drop the amonia levels in a tank?
Yes, adding live plants should reduce ammonia levels - but with the caveat that some plants are better than others. For example, fast-growing stem plants will consume more quickly than slow-growers.

:)