the ENDLESS tank cycle...

Oct 22, 2002
Hi All

I'm new to the tank cycling process and I'm a little worried that I may have goofed up the cycle. I have a 6 gallon "Eclipse" system (has a "wet-dry" bio-wheel), sand substrate, rocks, plastic plants, and one live plant. I added 3 zebra danios (before I read that fishless cycling is probably a better idea).

Anyway, I've been waiting waiting waiting...for 8 WEEKS now...Does this process normally take this long? The ammonia spiked, then went to 0 two weeks ago. The nitrites have been spiked near 10ppm for a week and a half...I was worried about the poor Danios (although they seem to be just fine), so I did two 20% water changes in the past few days. Did I set myself back by doing so? I just felt so bad about subjecting them to such poor water conditions...Is there anything else I should be doing, or do I just keep waiting? (PS: Nitrate levels were at 10ppm before the water change). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Yes, it can take that long, even longer. Most people add filter media, or gravel from an established tank, to jump start the process.

Doing water changes can prolong it, but you have to with NitIte levels that high. Your fish could die from those levels.Anything above 3ppm is very bad.

I would do the water changes until the levels are reduced. DOnt feed your fish for 24 hours, and after that, feed very lightly. Only put a single small flake or 2 in, not letting any hit the bottom. When your danios get a few each. stop feeding. Once a day feedings.

Dont rinse your filter or any media. Leave that alone. Put your temp up to about 80 f.

Watch for disiese, and monitor the Ammonia, Nitite , and Nitrate levels daily. If the Nitite levels go above 3, you have to do a 25% water change. Use a water conditoner to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramine to the new tap water.

Hope that helps, post back here with some updates.

0 Ammonia/0 Nitite/ any # of nitrates is cycled. Never , ever touch the bio wheel.It needs to establish.

Sherie

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well, the good news is that it looks like you are near the end of your cycle.  Since you are already showing a nitrate level, that means that the bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates is starting to form.  Water changes do not really affect your cycling time.  The majority of the bacteria that you are establishing in your cycle will be growing on your filter media, gravel and tank decorations.  My cycling experiences have normally taken 5-6 weeks and I always do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites at safe levels for the fish.  Danios are a hardy fish, and making it through the ammonia spike is the hardest part of cycling with live fish, in my opinion, so you've done great.  You can keep the nitrite levels down by water changes every other day (or more often if needed) and watch the fish for signs of stress.  I have a feeling though, that your cycle will be completed soon - your nitrite-to-nitrate bacteria just need to get a little better established and you're on your way.  Keep us updated and good luck!

R

ronrca

I do agree with MaleRubyBarb. Water changes can prolong the cycle. The reason being is that ammonia is food for the bacteria. When doing a water change, you are removing some of the ammonia from the water. The bacteria will have less food therefore less growth of your bacteria culture. It is true however, that doing a water change does not remove bacteria because it lives on your filter media, gravel, decor etc.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Ammonia is a very deadly thing to fish. It damages gills and tissues of the fish.

Nitrites destroy hemoglobin in the blood, reducing oxygen that can be carried. NitrItes are by far, much more dangerous.
 Some fish will die from  just traces of it.
10 ppm is totally toxic.

All I want to say, and then I will be quiet, is don't say that is doing a good job. That is not a good job.That is deadly levels, even if by mistake. It would be a good job , if the fish were NOT in there. :-X

R

ronrca

It is much better to use a fishless cycle because of the effect mentioned by MaleRubyBarb. I use to think differently but I have tried it and like the fishless cycle better.

Oct 22, 2002
Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Yes, next time I will DEFINITELY do a fishless cycle (that's what happens when you research, but only enough to get yourself in trouble!  :p ) I will continue with the water changes with the hope that it will lessen some of the stress on the poor Danios...and patiently wait for nature to do her work.

Thanks All!!

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=Orange,strength,width]Barb- When I posted that I didn't remember he had fish so I must say that I am sorry for that. I didn't remember! God I am forgetful! stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...

Cloth- Exactly what did your mom catch you doing? ;D

Ryan ;D[/glow]

Yes quite serious, I use to do this every other day for a week, it introduces ammonia into the system so the bacteria have something to feed on.
With todays modern addatives there is no need to do this, if you want to try it make sure you leave the tank at least a week after the last dose to ensure the ammonia is all gone.
You can always use very small amounts of food to kick start the filter. 8)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[shadow=Red,direction,width]So Clothahump how exactly did you find this little trick out? Trial & error or like from a friend? §orry but I am very curious about this!

Ryan ;D[/shadow]