Thinking about new SW tank

bandito41

Large Fish
Dec 6, 2005
Coolville, Ohio
I am thinking about starting a salt water tank. So far I have had a few years of experience with fresh water. Now I think I will try my hand at saltwater. I have done my research, but I still have a few questions. I want to have a reef setup. I plan on using a 40-50 gallon tank (unsure on which). I plan to use live rock and live sand. I was wondering about all of the supplies that I need. I know I need salt mix, a protein skimmer and a hydrometer. Is there anything I am missing? My LFS says they will help me set mine up. Is it as hard to keep a salt water tank as I have heard? Are the fish very fragile? I know it takes hard work , lots of paitience, and lots of money. I can provide all of these things with the help of my family. I want to set up the salt water tank because I find the fish fascinating, and I could put in my living room where every one can see it. Anyways can anyone help me with my questions. Here is a list of fish and inverts am interested in keeping. To clear any confusion these are fish I am thinking about getting it does not mean I WILL get them or that I think they go together.
Firefish
Cleaner shrimp
Scooter blenny
Mandarinfish
Banggai Cardinalfish
Clownfish
Fu Manchu Lionfish (I know they're venomous)

Thanks

Last edited:

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Our local pet store suggested in a new set up not to use a blennyhe said they eat algae and in a new set up,he would starve,and not to have a blenny with a clown.but ours has been ok.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
There are many fine fish for a 40 or 50. I think a mandarin will be a bit of a problem, but your other choices are reasonable. Start foing the reading.

Personally I don't think salt basic setups are that tricky, just have an open mind, expect a significant upfront cost and don't try to cut time/corners

bandito41

Large Fish
Dec 6, 2005
Coolville, Ohio
I found a reasonably priced 55 gal. tank. It doesn't come with a stand but my dad and I can build one cheap and sturdy. I am in the process of finding the cost of everything:eek: .It is pretty expensive but I can afford it. Plus my parents will pitch in.:D

bandito41

Large Fish
Dec 6, 2005
Coolville, Ohio
Alright I have totaled everything up, and I am looking at $200-$250. I am probably not getting the cheap 55 gallon tank. I will probably get a 50 gallon that comes with a hood. I will build the stand myself so that will save some money. I have another question. Can I put a Hi Fin Red Banded goby with a Scooter Blenny? I am fascinated with gobies and Blennies and I would love to have both of them in my tank.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would say yes, but be aware that you're ging to need a pretty deep sand bed for tunneling.

It's good to be interested in gobies, blennies as they're so small a beginner can actually buy quite a lot of fish for a change. You might get a bit ofterritorial hoo-hah if you put more than 4 territorial singles/pairs in that tank. You can always have a bunch of the clown gobies/neon gobies as well

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
:D Dwarf angels! And/or a fairy wrasse. Both are cool little fish, lots of color and activity, reasonably hardy and reasonably easy to find. Compatible with pretty much any smaller reef fish, invert safe.