Thinking about new SW tank

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Fairy wrasses are coral safe, the only thing they go after are bristleworms (which I think few if any people mind them doing). They are such awesome fish, always active.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Generally you want ~1#/gal. That's if it's good quality, if it's poor quality it'll be less dense so you'll need more. You can also get some base rock (dead rock) and some live rock over that, the base rock will eventually become live (takes about a year...). Base rock tends to be denser, too.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sadly reef aquaria end up being pricey. How much budget do you want to spend, 250 ish?
How big are 3 feet long tanks where you live (try to get a decent one or second hand) - I like 3 feet as a 'economy size'.
Do you need to buy a stand?

Do you live in a large metropolitan area? Do you have anything like a heater, HOB filters, powerheads and so on.

If you read the sticky at the top called my new tank or something likethat, that is about a 30 gallon I setup a couple years ago (and which still runs in some form) with the emphasis on economy.

If you want a heavily stocked reef 250 is not going to get you there. However if you can deal with low stocking, and are comfortable with thinking about what you're doing I think a FOWLR tank with a few fish and some inverts is actually possible.

tank
hood
lights
water
salt
test kits
hydrometer
HOB filter/cannister
powerheads
live rock.

That's a very basic shopping list. I have a very basic 20 long in my basement that is probably the most basic tank in the world, you can do better than that. That tank is also surprisingly successful.