thinking of getting betta fish

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I am thinking of getting a betta fish, but want to know a bit about them. Are they hard to take care of, and do they require a lot of care??? Are they as easy as goldfish? How about cleaning and temperature. I read a bit on them but would like to hear from owners of betta fish. Thanks
Hol

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Having a betta is amazing!!! THey really, in my opinion, aren't that difficult to take care of, once they are established and "revived" in their new home :) Look through the stickies, they are really helpful, lets you know a lot about a lot, and then some.

As far as amount of care goes, they aren't a fish that you can just plop in a tank and leave alone...they are like dogs or cats and, in my opinion, require a lot of attention - makes for a great "friendship" ;)

I've never had a goldfish, so I can't compare the two, sorry :eek:

Cleaning isn't too bad, weekly waterchanges should keep your water just fine, as long as you condition/treat it, etc...

Temperature is usually fine around 78 or so.

Pretty much, these fish are amazing! They are like little pound puppies, once you get them home and feeling better, their true colors, physically and personality wise, really show. They have amazing personality!! No two bettas are alike. I still consider myself a newb, but I have learned so much in the past few months, and it's just simply amazing...Just consider yourself warned, betta care is addictive!!! Once you have one, you'll always want more!!!

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
I am getting my betta as a birthday present from someone. I requested it and they are going to get it for me. All I want to know is if a small hexagonal tank is ok. It comes with gravel, a plant and a rack in the tank, so the excess food and waste can be seperate from the rest of the water. It has a lid too. Under the tank is a nob which you take off, to take some of the water out and the waste comes out as well i am guessing. Is this good enough for the little guy or does it need to be in a bigger tank???? I am just trying to get prepared and know what to tell my friend. Also what food is the best to get??? Do they really need treats? Thanks

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
No trop fish food stick with Betta food "Hikari" only and a "treat" like dried blood worms.

Um a tank 2.5-3gal 5 is great for a single betta, heater and a filter.
plants and a hidie hole for him to go into to sleep/rest.

have fun I know that we all have agreat timewith all of our "Cup Puppies"

ninamarie

Superstar Fish
Jan 4, 2006
Kalifornia, Silicon Valley
Nope not ok to keep such a great creature in nix that now teh betta needs room even though they live in the puddle and so forth one you get on you will realize that a creature as beautiful as this needs the room to fully thrive.

Here is flipper in his 2.5 gallon tank...and a nice Bubble nest too

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
ok just i know my mom is not to keen on me getting one, so i was going to get that small tank so i can put it by my bedside and she won't really freak out. i guess i won't get one cause its cruel to put in a small tank. too bad cause i really was looking forward to having one they look like interesting creatures and would like to experience having one. If i decide on getting one anyway, does the 2.5 gallon tanks come with gravel and trees?

Last edited:

jade71301

Large Fish
Jan 26, 2006
Quebec, Canada
My mom doesn't want the betta fish, because I have a 5 gal tank and it was nothing but trouble at the biginning, that she doesn't want any more fish in the house and is not too happy about me getting a betta. I mean it is going to stay in my room but I know she won't want anything bigger than the hexagon aquarium i posted earlier. Plus it makes it easier to maintain with that tank because of the hole at the bottom which lets water out and waste trapped at the bottom of the gravel. Plus I spent enough money on fish and want something that is easy to maintain and comes with gravel and a plant or 2. Which this hexagon comes with and I know its about 5 bucks more or less. Plus small enough so my mom won't freak out. If i get an aquarium I am sur she will freak all over again lol. Anyway i have till tuesday to decide. Are you absolutly sure that the hexagon too small for a betta? I really want to get it but don't want to be cruel to the fish.
Thanks

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I have bettas in half gallon bowls, though I plan to eventually get them all a tank of their own at least 2.5 gallons. They do live perfectly well in the bowls though, with bright colors and the building of bubble nests. Yellow Gal has been more than happy in her half gallon bowl since I bought her last September, and I'm almost reticent to put her in a tank because I'm afraid she'll stop staring at me. As long as the water is constantly being changed and is changed with the water from the same source at the same temperature, I've found these folks can thrive in half a gallon of water. (Though it's kind of boring to have them in an empty bowl.)

I guess what I'm saying is something in between the conventional literature and the feelings of other aquarists. The conventional states that bettas are mud puddle fish who can live in tiny cups with no water changes and aquarists often claim that a betta will never be happy unless he or she has at least a 5 gallon tank. I have personally found this isn't true, as I have previously indicated. I don't find that it's cruel at all to put a betta in a small tank, as they aren't really that interested in swimming fast laps or chasing the mailman. The bettas I have in bowls look no more or less happy than the bettas I have in larger tanks.

Now to address the betta hex, it's only 5 inches high and four inches wide. Certainly not a place I would house a betta for more than a few days. Ninamarie has the right idea with the mini-bow aquariums. Those are perfect for your needs.

Though I would disagree with the Hikari food recommendation, when compared by ingredients with other, less expensive brands, they don't have anything more to offer except that mysteriously esteemed name. Not to mention the fact that many of their products contain MSG as a flavor enhancer. Whereas I don't assume MSG is at all harmful to the fish, I just can't help but find that a slightly dubious practice if the company is claiming to be such a high quality food manufacturer. I use HBH Betta Bites, and I have been more than satisfied with the results. The only reason I would switch foods at this point would possibly be to try out Omega One's betta food.

Oh, and bettas can happily eat plain tropical flakes. The girls in our tanks have been more than happy with them for months now. Though if you're keeping a betta in their own tank or bowl, it's naturally nicer to feed them the proper Betta food.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Here is an ingredient list for Hikari's betta food:

Fish Meal, wheat flour, soybean meal, gluten meal, krill meal, wheat germ meal, cuttlefish oil, astaxanthin, brewers dried yeast, enzyme, garlic, monosodium glutamate, DL-methionine, vitamin A oil, vitamin D3, vitamin E, menadione sodium bisulfate complex, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, inositol, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, folic acid, biotin, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cobalt

HBH:
Fish Meal,Wheat Flour,Soy Flour,Fish Oil,Brewer's Dried Yeast,Squid Meal,Soy Lecithin,Krill Meal,L-ascorbic Acid Phosphate (source of vitamin C),Choline Chloride, Calcium Propianate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (C), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), Riboflavin Supplement (B2), Vitamin B Acid, Thiamine B6, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, DLAlphatocopherol (E), Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenedamine Dihydroiodide, Ethoxyquin (Antioxidant)

So you see, there's little to no difference between them, except for Hikari giving your fish MSG and charging you almost 4 times as much money.

Unfortunately, I can't find an ingredient list for Omega One.

I've also come across a thread or two where it's been claimed that a good amount of the things found in all of the brands are undigestable for bettas. These include the wheat, rice, potato type products. Grains are just not a natural part of a fish's diet after all.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2005
well i wouldn't suggest switching until you run out of the food you've got... it's kind of silly to waste money like that. Hikari isn't bad for your fish or anything... they just charge a lot for their mediocre quality, so echo's got it out for them.

keep feeding what you've got for now... and next time you need to go buy fish food, grab a package of a few different brands and compare the ingredients and percentages... we like HBH and omega one... but maybe there's something even better out there that we don't know about... so check it out.

also... if you switch foods, your betta may go on strike for a while, and spit out anything that doesn't taste like his old food. usually this is temporary, but definitely something to watch out for.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I'm not sure I'd say Hikari is mediocre quality. It's good quality food, it's just not so spectacular that it should merit all of the hype that it is given. The price is a bit high for what it really is, and that agitates me. Most brands when you compare them are about the same in quality, yet the prices are all over the map.

Omega One is the only brand that uses any solid ingredients which might merit a price increase of sorts. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the fish benefit any from the use of "whole" rather than meal. Either way, I'm using them from now on just on principle alone! ha! hehe

If you compare the Hikari basic tropical flakes:

Fish meal, milt meal, starch, claim meal, Antartic krill meal, wheat flour, gluten meal, cocoa powder, spirulina, carotenoid fortifier, brewers' dried yeast, sea weed meal, crab meal, fish oil, vegetable lecithin, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, inositol

With the el cheapo Wardley premium basic flakes:

Ingredients
Fish meal, wheat flour, soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten meal, herring meal, brewers dried yeast, fish oil, rice flour, shrimp meal, wheat germ meal, soy protein isolate, spirulina, krill digest, crab meal, ferrous oxide, lecithin, xanthan gum, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, choline chloride, betaine, astaxanthin oil, oleoresin carrot oil, chlorophyll extract, ethoxyquin, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, riboflavin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid

There appears to be little difference in the quality of the food. Not all of the ingredients are identical, but they are so similar that it hardly merits Hikari charging almost twice as much money.

Last edited: