This is a rant, read and laugh!

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
Firstly Kristal AK, You need to prioritise.to realise that not all things are immediately controlable. and to plan and proceed accordingly. What you should have done in THAT situation was to get the ice cream FIRST.... and only then to vent your spleen on te poor guy, who might even have been shamed enough to let you have the Ice Cream (Or at least a good discount).

kristalAK

Medium Fish
Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage Alaska
I'm not entirely sure as what to ask specifically, I'd like to know about their eating habits, breeding, climates, where they originated. Basically tell me what you know based on being a DragonFish owner. I'd like to learn things from someone who has experience with the fish.

Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Dragon fish are the largest species of goby. They live in brackish water so you have to add aquarium salt. This is because they come from South America. At Petsmart I was told to put 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. They can get large, usually around a foot long. I found a place on the internet which had pictures of the largest one i've ever heard of. It died last year at 5 years old and 27 inches long. The minimum tank size of this fish is 20 gallons. Given the proper shelter you shouldn't see one in the day. Mine enters a hole in the bottom of a castle decoration. I have found a way to observe the fish for long periods of time. If you turn the aquarium light off at night and turn the room light off also it will come out. You can then turn on the room light and it won't notice. The violet goby is a peacful fish but shouldn't be around small fish like guppies. My dragon fish likes to pick up gravel in his mouth and eat whatever has acumulated on the little rocks. He also eats algae wafers. Sometimes I find the dragon fish and his tankmate a silver dollar trying to eat the same algae wafer. These fish must be transported directly from South America because we do not know how they breed. They prefer the temperature of the aquarium to be between 72 and 82 degrees F.

Last edited:
Dragon cqzzzzz< said:
Dragon fish are the largest species of goby. They live in brackish water so you have to add aquarium salt. This is because they come from South America. At Petsmart I was told to put 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. They can get large, usually around a foot long. I found a place on the internet which had pictures of the largest one i've ever heard of. It died last year at 5 years old and 27 inches long. The minimum tank size of this fish is 20 gallons. Given the proper shelter you shouldn't see one in the day. Mine enters a hole in the bottom of a castle decoration. I have found a way to observe the fish for long periods of time. If you turn the aquarium light off at night and turn the room light off also it will come out. You can then turn on the room light and it won't notice. The violet goby is a peacful fish but shouldn't be around small fish like guppies. My dragon fish likes to pick up gravel in his mouth and eat whatever has acumulated on the little rocks. He also eats algae wafers. Sometimes I find the dragon fish and his tankmate a silver dollar trying to eat the same algae wafer. These fish must be transported directly from South America because we do not know how they breed. They prefer the temperature of the aquarium to be between 72 and 82 degrees F.
NOT AQUARIUM SALT!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DONT JOIN THE AQUARIUM SALT CULT!! IT WAS CREATED BY PETSMART, AND WATCH OUT. THEY ARE RECRUITING!!!!!! if goldfish would die in true brackish conditions, then why dont they die when exposed to aquarium salt!?! because it doesnt create brackish conditions!!!!!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
For true brackish, you'd use marine salt mix (like you would mix up to make real salt water for a reef tank), not aquarium salt... the marine salt mix has a lot more than just salt crystals.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Hmm.... Are you using this http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/search_results.jsp?art=false&In=ALL&N=2030148&Ne=2 or this http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...um+salt&In=All&previousText=aquarium+salt&N=2 ? The first page includes products which you use to turn fresh water into sea water, suitable for a marine tank, and in a more diluted form, into water for a brackish tank. The second page has a product which, although it may be extracted from sea water, will not make sea water when mixed with fresh water, no matter how much you add. It will not make brackish water either, since brackish is a mix between fresh and marine. It never states that it can be used in a marine aquarium, and all the products on the first page do.
Since brackish is dilute seawater, it stands to reason that you would have to use the same type of product that you must use to make seawater, doesn't it? There are other minerals in seawater besides the salt, and aquarium salt only has the salt. The salt mixes for marine water include the other minerals as well.
If you have the product on the second page, I have the same thing; and on the top flap it says,"Professional Aquarium Salt for Freshwater Fish".
Unfortunately, pet-store training can't cover all the bases. We usually get a better result by researching what we are told there and making sure they are correct instead of relying on their knowledge.