This is my 37 reef.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
seastaar88 said:
geez you'd never know. my 2yr old digi can't take pics like that!!! ;)

just cuz you have a spendy super nice camera dosent mean your going to have super nice pictures(but it sure dose make it easy), i would say how well the picture turns out depends a solid 70-80% on the user

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
That's what I was thinking about the calcium level. I'm going to buy a new kit this week, I've narrowed it down between la motte or sailfert.*crazysmil

Hey Joe- it would be tough as an afterthought. You'd have to remove all of the lr and push it down through the sand, just thinking about, what a pita. I can't wait to see your pics of the goby pair. Hey what kind of bioload do you think they create? I want a pair but I don't want to overdue it. I really want a tiger pistol and a prawn goby.

thanks JeLeak, set it to macro and hold still.*celebrate

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
adding a pistol shrimp won't increase the bioload measurably at all.......

I have a crocea and a derasa clam......the crocea is about 5-6 inches and the derasa is about 4 inches.....both are healthy. When I got the crocea I placed him on a small piece of rock and buried the rock in the sand....he quickly attached to the rock and the derasa I placed on a clam shell and buried it .......both are on the bottom under the mh light and doing well. My CA levels are around 400 dh is 3.50 to 4.50 meq/l I try to maintain these levels and currently my tank is using about 10 of ca a day. I was dosing kalk but it clogged up my drip pump so I have been using Seachem Reef Complete and Kent Super Buffer. I use an american pharmacuetical test kit.....not the best but haven't been able to get my hands on a salifert kit.

actually that is my crocea in my avtar...though it is bigger now....

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
thanks, Lorna, I thought that but wasn't positive.
that's a good idea about burying a piece of lr for it. I knew they have to attach but I didn't really want to alter the coral placement much, I know where one can go now. 6" is about the max for a crocea correct?
I'll be buying the new test kit this week, they aren't too cheap, Sailfert kits that is.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I knew that a derasa can get to about 18" but thought it would take a while. My revised estimate is the one I have will match the crocea by the end of the year, then we will have to see about upsizing my tank...... ahhh there is a method to my madness.....Thinking a 180 should be a fine size.

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
thanks Katie, I appreciate it.

I saw my dream tank at the lfs tonight, a 120g...48x24x24...I've wanted it for awhile now, but this is the first time I've seen one in person, don't have the space presently but someday.

So lorna, I bought the crocea tonight, about 3.5" blue:D . It's awesome, I bought a piece of base rock for it to attach to & I buried it. Also picked up 4 multicolored zoo colonies(buy 3@$10,get 1 free), a 2-headed candy cane frag($10), and a frag of Galaxea($20). Pics will be posted tomorrow after work.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wow, nice scoop on the frags, where did you get them? how many polyps on those zoas? just make sure that you have good light for the crocea as they are the most light demanding of all the clams. I don't feed mine at all, as once they get over 3"to 3.5" they rely solely on the light for support. I have been thinking of starting my own phytoplankton culture......

A good resource for clams is clams.direct.com

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
This is there online site. Gatewayaquatics.com They have a room in the rear just for online purchases. I have 250w mh 10k and the tank is 23" deep. I think that he or she will be fine. thanks for the info, I was going to supplement with phyto, but I guess that will not be necesarry. The colonies vary, I'm trying to remember but the smallest one had maybe 5??? Dang it Lorna now I want to go home and start staring at them. I'll def. post the pics lata.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
great I can't wait to see them.......your lighting should be great for the clam. Need a pic of that too! I feed my tank DT's about once a week..... mostly for the feather dusters....not sure if I am doing it any good or just polluting the water......

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
yeah I have the DT's and I was wondering the same. I actually found a few apistia the other night, and I think that they are being fueled by the phyto. I have Joe's Juice on the way from Marine Depot.

Earlier in the thread there's a pic of the pendent that is being suspended from the canopy. It's a pretty nice setup, if I do say so myself.*SUPERSMIL

I also asked the lfs about my calcium readings and he confirmed that the coralife salt that I use gives him high calc readings from the start and if I dose than my numbers could be possible.

Last edited: