To full?

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
Rule of Thumb

The general rule of thumb when stocking a tank is one inch of fish per gallon of water.

If you want a happy 10 gallon tank, go with 5 neons and 5 glowlights.

Stick the rest in your 25.

I've had tigerbarbs and when they are 6 or more they are fine. I had mine with gourami bleeding heart tetra and cardinal tetras. No problems whatsoever.

fishface

Large Fish
Jun 22, 2003
England - Sheffield
www.myfishtank.net
UPDATE - the sucker mouth catfish at my lfs are actually plecos so forget that. instead im lokking at getting a yo yo loach, so ill be this:

1 rainbow shark
1 yo yo loach
1 anglefish (i heard they fight if u get 2)
4 penguin tetras
6 tiger barbs

if its like that would it be ok to get 2 yoyo loaches?

Sep 21, 2005
Advice requested...

Hi! I have a 10 gallon tank set up. I've had it since sometime in August. I started with just 2 Cherry Barbs. Then I went and got 3 Glolite Tetras. Then I went back to Pet Smart because I wanted a bottom feeder... they said the only thing I could get was a snail. So I got a Yellow Mystery Snail. (That's what the label says it is.) But what I really wanted all that time was an African Dwarf Frog. Well, I went back to Pet Smart yesterday, for the first time in about a month. I've been doing well with my fishies and my snail. The fishies are growing a little bit (getting a little chubby I might add) and everybody seems to be happy. But I questioned them about the frogs. The guy I spoke with at that time said I could definitely put some of those frogs in the tank. Like... more than one. I wanted one of the little ones (I didn't realize they came in two sizes) and it looked like I got the last one so I got him and brought him home and everything was great. Just for curiosity's sake though, I asked if I could have any more. He said I could have about 2 more of those or a big one. So today I went and got a big one. When I look in my tank, with the personalities of all my fish and snail and the frogs... I don't think that this is going to be a problem... but I do wonder... am I overcrowding my tank? I also have in the tank 15 lbs of gravel on the bottom, as recommended by the tank manufacturer, and a rather large decoration in the middle that produces bubbles. Everybody seems to be doing great. I just worry that with the frogs now I might have overcrowded the tank. Please advise.

Thanks,
Amber

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Is the larger frog an african dwarf frog or an african clawed frog? Is it white or brown?

You have more than enough gravel -- be sure to vacuum very well and really go deep into the gravel so you don't end up with any anerobic bacteria.

How are your water parameters? Has it finished cycling yet?

Sep 21, 2005
The sign at Pet Smart for the frog I got today (the larger one) said it was an African Dwarf Frog. It's kinda white.

Umm... apparently there's more to this than they're telling me... uhh... vacuumming the gravel? Uh oh. I didn't know I was supposed to do that. They just told me to change 25% of the water once a week and change the filter once a month. I've been doing that.

What do you mean by the water parameters? And the water cycling? Like I said... apparently there's more to this than they told me at Pet Smart. And I have fallen for my fishies so I do NOT want them to die on me.

Also... we are going to be moving 6 hours away in about 7 months... any recommendations on how to move the fish and get them back in the tank when we get to our new home? I guess the tank will have to be the last thing to go and the first thing to get set up.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
amber-kaye said:
The sign at Pet Smart for the frog I got today (the larger one) said it was an African Dwarf Frog. It's kinda white.
Ut-oh.... Look at froggy's feet. Are they clawed? It sounds like you got a clawed frog -- they're predatory and you may soon not have to worry about being overstocked or not. :eek: I haven't ever seen a white dwarf frog (webbed feet/stay quite small)

amber-kaye said:
Umm... apparently there's more to this than they're telling me... uhh... vacuumming the gravel? Uh oh. I didn't know I was supposed to do that. They just told me to change 25% of the water once a week and change the filter once a month. I've been doing that.
Yup, vacuuming the gravel. It's really easy and can be how you do your water changes. You can get gravel vacs anywhere for under $8. They're essentially glorified siphons. Changing the water is good, changing the filter that often is counterproductive. When you do your water changes, just take your filter material and slosh it around in the bucket with the water you just removed from the tank (never hot or nondechloriniated water!) then pop the filter material back into the filter. That's where the majority of your 'good' bacteria live. When the filter material gets too ratty, replace it (preferably not at the same time as you do a heavy vacuuming)

amber-kaye said:
What do you mean by the water parameters? And the water cycling? Like I said... apparently there's more to this than they told me at Pet Smart. And I have fallen for my fishies so I do NOT want them to die on me.
Your best bet is to read the stickies posted on the beginning of this forum. They'll tell you all about cycling your tank etc. You'll want to invest in some test kits -- the reagent kits (dropper tests) are far better than the 'test strips'. With your tank up for a while, it may be done cycling or close to done. Testing your water is very simple and your water change regimen is a great first step!

amber-kaye said:
Also... we are going to be moving 6 hours away in about 7 months... any recommendations on how to move the fish and get them back in the tank when we get to our new home? I guess the tank will have to be the last thing to go and the first thing to get set up.
That's exactly what you need to do! *thumbsups NoDelta had a great thread on moving crosscountry. The basics are: last out of the house, first up in the house, keep the filter media and gravel wet if possible, EMPTY the tank or you'll risk cracking it, don't keep too much water in with the fish or you'll have serious sloshing.....

One more suggestion: stop listening to whoever gave you advice at PetSmart. LOL Or at least take it with a grain of salt. Some of what they told you was correct but they seem to have left plenty out also and they may have sold you something you didn't really want or ask for. If your frog is indeed a clawed frog, bring him back and get a refund -- they misled you and I doubt you want him. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Sep 21, 2005
No, he doesn't have claws... he's got webbed feet. He's getting along really well with everbody in the tank.

Thanks for all your help. I'll have to bookmark this post or something.