to warm the waves

Oct 22, 2002
Hi

I am noew to this site, but not new to aquariums.  I am in the process of buying equipment for my 125gal fresh water tank.  Am wondering if anyone has had any expierence with Hagen Tronic Heaters.  Am thinking of 2 200 watt.  Want to get away from heaters with bi-metal strips.  Eb-Jager is my next choice, however, it is traditional type with Bi-Metal strips.  Thanks
                                      pat

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Hey, I don't know how much research you've done, but if it's worth anything to you, here's my two cents.

Of all the heaters I've seen on the market, I really like Tronics and Visa-therms.  The submersible style is much better than an over the top heater, and thus far all the literature I've read on Tronics seem to be stuff I'd trust. Hell, I've never had a Hagen product let me down yet. The only thing I dislike about the Tronics is their packaging. The plastic does nothing to protect the heater from shattering if it falls off a shelf or peg-hook (I work in retail). So make sure you really inspect the heater for minute cracks before you buy it. Don't get one that looks like it fell.

Visa-therms I do have extensive experience with since they were the heaters of choice at the lab I worked at.  They're reliable, and amazingly enough, when we got somewhat, forgetful, in topping off the water baths (we didn't use them in fish tanks), they didn't shatter if they were half exposed. Then again, we laid them flat on the bottom of the water bath, so it was exposed the entire length of the heater, which probably helped equalize temperature along the glass of the heater rather than having it top/bottom half submerged and having that big temp differance.

Anyway, hope whatever you buy, it works for you.
~~Colesea

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
My buddy gave me a visa-therm he used in his salt water tank. Wasn't too old.

I thought it was a nice heater(not as good as my renas) but this heater was the heater that was shocking me in the water. I examined the heater and saw no where for it to do that..except the top part where the cord goes in. Not sure if the salt water ate at the seal or what.

Supposed to unplug all electrical divises anyway before putting your hands in the water..but do we? I know I dont.

Don't think this applies to his desicion but thought I would say it anyway..hehe

Oct 22, 2002
;D  Again thanks for all the feedback.  It has helped me make a final decision on which heater to get.

pat

Oct 22, 2002
Well here is the basic lowdown.  Tank is an All-glass 125 gal with a delux fuul hood.  Modern oak stand w/canopy.  A Rena Filstar* XP3 and an Eheim wet/dry canister for my biological filtration. An Emperor Aquatics Inc. 25 watt U.V. sterilizer.  2 Hagen Tronis 200 watt heaters.  Rainbow-Lifeguard digital thermometer and a Rena 400 air pump with 2, 6 inch ceramic airstones.  Various plants and driftwood as well as 200 to 250 lbs of gravel to round out the setup.  Fresh water community is the untimate goal.  i am so excited.  this will be my biggest and best and, due to cost, last for some years to come.

pat
thumbsupsmiley*

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I bought my 2 EJ brand new from the auction.  The site used to do online business but now auctions them off for what's left over.  If you want to email him for some heaters for EBO jager, I will give you the email.  Looks like nobody bid of the 100W and 150 W Heaters which went for $7 and $9 minimum bid.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
WOW, sounds like a nice set up. What color gravel did you use?

We have a 55 gallon stand and canopy set just like that at the shop, and I really like the look of it. You're tank is going to be a beautiful showpiece. We've got a black set like that in the 90 gallon, and I keep wanting to set up a small marine tank in it, so the white coral and gravel will contrast so nicely...*sigh*

Best of luck.
~~Colesea