Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
for future reference: dont panic if it closes up again from time to time...as they grow they will close up and slough off an outer filmy layer, particularly if they are not in an area of high flow or if your water has some dissolved nutrients

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
yah, hard to say...as you alluded to it all depends on the similarity of conditions between the two tanks

how big is he? i have a sarcophyton in my tank which is now pushing 8in across...time to either dice him up or swap with a local i think

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i bought a 5" but seems a little smaller now in my tank. It shrunked because he was moved. He fully opened 2 hours after his introduction....then my electric blue hermit
tried to climb near and he freaked out.

The hermit is disturbing . I saw him carelessly unglue a green zoo ( wich i will try to put on another rock ) while eating the coraline of a tonga branch. He seems to prefer coralline than other algaes :mad:
Maybe there's tasty stuff near the coralline too..but in any cases..he's not helping.

Is it ok if i put my toadstool under light current until he's firmly attached ? He's attached to pieces of tonga and they seems thin...not solid.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Bought him 50 $ CDN ( or 43 USD ) for a 5".

I found this store nearby that only sells livestock...marine or cyclids. Really cool old guy...a black belt in reefkeeping. At least i know that it's his store...not a min. wage pissed off seller who don't care cause he's underpaid ( wich i understand ...wouldn't you )

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
'Couple days later..i see it's always open during daytime...but when i bought it there was 1 little white spot where polyps aren't there ( at the edge of the crown ). Now there is 2. Sounds not so good. No load of mucus or else. This coral was under intense 2 x 400 w + actinics in a enormous tank at the store. Now she's down to 80 w actinics + 40 powerglo ( 5 inches from the water line ). That's it cause a have a broken ballast. Is this can be a result of the lack of lighting ? Is it just acclimating. I have a mushroom + green polyps that are well and growing under those lights.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
hard to say, could just be a little spot where the polyps are unhappy...i would keep an eye on it though...if you can blow off the little white stuff and it is kind of powerdy looking that is a bad sign and usually means it is rotting. Best thing to do at that point is get out the scissors/knife/razor and cut off the affected area...in no time the leather will return to its nice normal shape