Two clowns, or one?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I just bought a Hermit crab, although i have no idea what kind it is. It was labeled "hairy crab". Anyone know what this might be?

I'll try and post some pictures soon, but i've yet to get the digi cam running.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
thats what I got from his description as welll and if it is one of the hairy hermits then I would get rid of it, they are destructive and not condusive to a reef environment, but please get us a picture so we can positively identify it or find somethign that looks like it and get the scientific name, it would be very helpful in figuring it out

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Get two as small as possible and let them sort it out themselves. Just make sure they're of good quality before you buy. They're the only two fish you'll be buying so don't fuss on getting them cheap.

something

Large Fish
Nov 8, 2004
southern CA
As far as keeping an anemone with your clown, often times a clown wont host with an anemone (sebae or BT are generally the only exceptions, but they're increadibly hard to keep in a normal sized tank let alone a nano). Clowns will often host with mushrooms (like ricordia and hairy) though. As far as ordering offline you could check liveaquaria.com, they have some pretty good deals if your lfs is price gouging (and they gaurentee live delivery and have a 14day gaurentee).

Here's a link to a nano-begginer set of corals that sounds pretty good. You can pick from 3 different types; mushrooms (Green Striped, Red, Lavender, Bullseye), polyp corals (Yellow Colony, Button, Colony, Colony, Supercolored, Colony, Multicolored, Starburst), or leather corals (Toadstool Mushroom Leather, Thin Finger Leather, Spaghetti Finger Leather, Tree Coral, Assorted, Cabbage Leather, Kenya Tree). its only $70 total (shipping included), but buying 4types of coral from your lfs will generally run you back that far (or further). Here's the link:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2033

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunetly i emailed liveaquaria and they wont ship to me. which sucks, cause they have a lot and some good prices too.

I'll post a picture today of my crab, he's a hermit crab (or i assume because he's in a shell) and he's got hairy legs, the legs are red and white striped. also (i dont know if it's good in identification) but the "stalks" of his eyes are white.

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Well, i got two clowns. Percula clowns, one's larger than the other and the largest is around 1" and the smaller one is around .75".

I was told two different sizes would start a hierarchy, and the "gender undecided" clownfish would become paired, one male and one female.

Did i do good?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
yea, but just make sure to vary their diets, I feed flake, frozen mysis, squid, clam, and live brine and just alternate, the flake is their staple but once or twice a week i give them somethign else, and my clowns are doing great, i bough a juvie pair just like you and they paired up and now spawn every couple weeks, its pretty cool they are hungry little buggers too, they also live in my hammer coral just incase you were wondering, i will have pics of both tanks plus inhabitants up next week, new digital camera is coming on tuesday SOOO excited

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
Yeah i was interested in some "clownfish corals", but right now my budget is keeping my tank looking very boring as far as aquascaping is concerned.

Question about adding more live rock, if it's cured the cycle wont start over again will it?