Unidentifiable fish

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I've inherited a new fish that I can't identify. This one should be recognizable without a picture, since I've never seen anything like it. It is a very flat tall fish, like a disk, and it has fins up high that look like Spock ears..they stick up past it's body and look like tiny little wings.. It's a funny looking fish. Freshwater. I'll put a pic of it on my aquarium page at:
http://members.tripod.com/k_bradley/myaquariums/index.html

Thanks,

Kyle

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Silver dollar, Hatchet Fish, Discus are the only ones I can think of. I see nothing on your page that even comes close to what your discribing.

Hatchet fish actually fits this discription best. Their pectoral fins poke up like that wile they swim.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yes, that's a hatchetfish. It'll stick up near the top of the tank, and they are very good jumpers so make sure the tank is well covered. They don't get very big, it's probably at it's adult size now.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Brackish water is water with a little bit of salt in there (kinda halfway between saltwater and freshwater). It can vary considerably between low salinity and almost saltwater. It's good for brackish fish... go figure. Monos, some puffers, scats, and archerfish are brackish, even mollies can be brackish. A lot of fish also start as freshwater and migrate to brackish or even full saltwater as they mature (like most "freshwater" eels).

Brackish is slightly salty water... not quite marine, but higher than fresh. It is found naturally where freshwater flows into marine. I can't remember the exact number, but I believe it is specific gravity of 1.005 - 1.018, give or take.

There are many fish species which need brackish either all their life, or when they grow up. Puffers, monos, scats, and mud skippers are examples of brackish fish. Mollies also do well in brackish, but don't necessarily need it.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I put aquarium salt in all of my tanks when I change the water. Is this not what I'm supposed to do? I lost two black finned sharks when I first started this, and the guy at the pet store told me it was because I didn't use aquarium salt. So I've been using it every water change now in every tank. One tablespoon per 5 gallons of water.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Not sure on the filter. Aquarium salt and marine salt are different... aquarium salt is used in smaller amounts and is made differently somehow, not sure how. Using aquarium salt is not the same as a brackish tank, aquarium salt is designed to be added to a freshwater aquarium, like you're doing. Some people use it like you do, some people don't use aquarium salt at all. It can also be used to treat ick, it might help to prevent it if you use it all the time like you're doing.

Some fish can't take salt in the water, black-finned sharks might be among them.

By any chance, are your "zebra looking fish" zebra danios? http://www.myfishtank.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/5/sort/7/cat/6/page/2

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
KyleBradley said:
is it possible that my crayfish ate my corydoras?
Yup, in fact it's probably quite likely...especially since both the crays and the cories are bottom-dwellers. It's a disaster waiting to happen, if you ask me. Then again---that all depends on whether or not you mind feeding your crays live cories...would get kind of expensive, I would think.

Oh...and if it was the cray, then don't expect to find any remains at all.

Big Vine