Upgrading tank

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
I experienced success with this on my last go around....some of you may remember me :) For almost a year now, I have had a successful 10 gallon saltwater tank....I have been using a filter w/o the filter pad to circulate my water......and about 10lbs of live rock......I also have a crab, banded shrimp and a Nemo fish. I feel now is the time to spread my wings and I need your help again...........How can I sucessfully move the contents of my old tank to my new tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

I also would like any comments regarding equippment you have found to be your favorite so that I can now go buy something much bigger! Thanks for all you help.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well it depends on how big you want to go, reef or not and so fourth. It it was me I would keep the old tank runnning while you set-up the new one, and wait till the new ones cycled before putting the rest of your stuff in it.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Do you need to put the new tank where the old tank is?

Last summer I moved the contents of a tank to a new one. I moved from a 30 to 65 gallon ish. I put the new one in location, and mixed up 20 gallons of new water in it, and put a powerhead and spare heater in. After a day or two tyhe salt had cleared and I put across a couple of pieces of live rock and some hermits as a basic test...

Once I was satisfied it wasn't 'bad' or toxic in there (recycled fresh tank). I then had a busy day. I got a spare bucket, filled it with water, put in a powerhead (no heater , it was a hot day) and filled with 5 gals of water. I then get a spare plastic tub I have and put a couple gallons water in that. Live rock came out and into the plastic tub, fish into the bucket. Cover bucket with towel and leave alone. Then I syphoned out 5 gallons of water and removed as much gunk from the substrate as possible.

I thne moved the remaining water and some/most of the substrate to the new tank. Moving all the substrate proved impractical. Sort out substrate, put liverock back in. Leave for an hour, fish go in. Basically I did a 30 gallon water change.

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
I have not purchased the new tank yet but hoping to go really big......I guess I was just hopin that I wouldnt have to cycle this new tank as long...I thought I could just use everything from the old tank....guess it is impractical...I do not plan on mkaing it a reef tank.......just simple saltwater.......

Looking at what I have going, what will I need that I dont have--I dont have a protien skimmer....what is that exactly--I think my frequent water changes took the place of that.....whatever it is....

You had any luck with seahorses?????????????????

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Cycling will take as long in a big tank as it does in a small tank. Depending how big your going you may need to buy equiptment suited for a bigger tank.

A protein skimmer is an excellent peice of equptment because it removes dissolved organics that the filter doesnt pick up. Partial water changes dont necessarily take the place of the skimmer.

And as seahorses go...a smaller tank is better for them along with a tank set-up specifically for them. They are not for beginners...if you go and but some make sure they are tank bred.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The tank will prbably be the cheapest the thing you buy for a large setup. Skimmer and fancy lighting are far more expensive.

You can of course reuse your live rock and sand, and providing you go slow slowly and sensibly you likely won't have to cycle. But your old hardware will just be underpowered. A skimmer will be very helpful, and I don't like to think of salt tanks with less than 10 times an hour water movement (If you get a 75, look for 750 + per hour for total powerheads, pumps and so on)

I've never kept seahorses as I don't have the facilities/time to grow my own live food for them.

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
No offense 1979 Camero----or whatever....but you said my ten gallon couldnt be done....now a year has passed and I am back again..and successful.....so maybe you can concentrate on someone else's post.....thanks anyway

Wayne, thanks for your kindness.....I would really like to ask a few more questions, can you help??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
alrighty, for my reference who were you before you became you? im not in the habit of telling people something can't be done, i just try to point out some of the difficulties so they go in prepared...sorry to have gotten your panties in a bunch

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???!!???

hey crisput, i dont think camaro was trying to offend you, he was just trying to make one of the greatest points of saltwater, READ. I know, whne i started i never wanted to read either, but it hepls more than anything else. I thik you woudl be making a mistake by rejecting all fo the heplful information that comaro has to offer; he's one of the best recources on this site. Thye might not tell you what you want to hear at first when it comes to SW, but it will pay off in the end i PROMISE lol. not to slam u or anything, i just think we shoudl take all critisism constructively. thanks

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have to say I'd be with Camaro on his dislike of beginners starting with 10's because they are awfully small. UK 10's are bad enough, but 10 US Gallons are tiny tanks, and a horribly large proportion of beginners (at least 70% dropout rate) with them don't make it through 6 months let alone a year.

But you have, so fire away with questions.

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
I feel like this page is for those that enjoy the hobby-experienced and non-experienced...it is chance for those of you who are successful SW hobbiests to share your knowledge.......and I do believe that some of you should try to be just a little more patient.....we DO read outside material AND we DO read sticky's posted AND really can do it--just as you do! Just try to be patient.....didnt mean to offend anyone.....just trying to get someone to take the time to help without being so negative

Moving right along.......

I have a ten gallon tank....My filter circulates the water.......I do not have (as per someone's request from my last go around-I think it might have even been yours, Wayne..) a filter carbon pad in it....if that makes sense......

I have about ten pounds of live rock.....and all levels are great--I check them all the time and do very frequent water changes to keep it clean....thats it...salt, filter to move around water and over the tank heater.........I have one crab....a shrimp....and a Nemo.....

I keep the salt a little higher than norm asked for in "the books" and the temp above that of freshwater.....I do read and I really end up learning a lot more from all you than any book......b/c a lot of time they leave a lot out some important things you learn by really doing it....

I plan on buying a large tank....whatever I can afford.....but before I get there to that point I just want to make sure I am ready.....

I know I will need additional live rock....a protein skimmer and power head...any suggestions on brands or size--I know alot will depend on what size tank I get.... I do not plan on a reef tank...just simple SW

Also, can I just add a little from my old tank to my new one and achieve the same affect as cycling the new tank.......or what do you suggest........

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
as far as the books and stickies, i like to send people there first because it often clears up a lot of their initial questions and prevents the retyping of the same old novel for the 25th time...

i suppose when someone identifies their fish as a "nemo" and then proceeds to say he does not know what a skimmer is it just concerns me a bit about the background knowledge......

but, i do appologize if it seemed that i jumped on you (now or in the past) and, that said, i'll do my best to help you despite your request that i not:

your first decision probably needs to be if you want a sump or not...that will affect not only what kind of skimmer you buy (skimmers remove disolved organics) but how many powerheads (if any). Generally, people like AquaC, PRecision Marine, and Euroreef for large systems, but there are many others.

the amount of live rock generally depends on three things: the type of fish (ie behavior), the number of fish, and the size of the tank

crisput said:
Also, can I just add a little from my old tank to my new one and achieve the same affect as cycling the new tank.......or what do you suggest........
while im not sure what you plan to add, assuming you mean LR, this depends on the additional live rock you add as well. if you add a little bit of uncured you will probably be ok, if you add a lot of cured it doesnt matter either way, and if you add a lot of uncured you are going to have a cycle...just adding water isn't going to do you any good...however transfering your substrate could be useful

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
crisput-definetly listen to what s.reef, 1979camaro, and wayne have to say...they know what they are doing, and always give great advice
and as for seahorses: that's one pony you'll want to avoid for now
what size tank are you planning on? depending on amount of lr and size of tank, you may need several powerheads/pumps

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
We can't recommend a skimmer til we know what tank you're going to get. However assuming it will be in the 55 - 75 gal range I'd tryo t get a new or second Aqua C remora as my first choice and a CPR backpack as second. If you get a seaclone everyone wil laugh at your suffering, and prisms are just too small.
Amount of live rock is tough to say - how big tank, how much patience do you have, where is the rock from.'

If you get a grip of how live rock systems work, you'll realise that marine systems are not cycled like fresh. You are effectively buying your bacteria in with the rock.

I also tend to point others in the usual directions as it's very, very tedious to rewrite 'how cycling works' for probably the 100th time. If someone can't be bothered to do the nec. reading their chances of success are pretty limited, so it's kind of a filter. If you are doing the reading, I suspect you're in the small minority that succeed

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
Happy Friday!!

I teach Kindergarten so I admit that I can be a little elementary when it comes to terms like Nemo......I dont like to be so specific and make it seem hard and complicated.....I guess I just look at life this way too....

Thanks for all your help.........everyone....

I would like to know where you purchase your supplies...We have two pet stores in this area and I dislike them both.........I truly want to avoid purchasing kits from these stores and want your imput on where to go....

you can order online if you dislike the pet stores that much. im not sure if you want to get your test kis online though...shipping can suck sometimes. but as far as fish...if u dont like whats at your LFS's then you can order them online.
Here are a couple sites :

liveaquaria.com
aquariumfish.net/
bidding - aquabid.com

But i would only recomend buying online if you really cant find what you want. In my case, there is a very small pet store about 5 minutes from my house, and they have some sw, etc..but limited selection, so i usually have to drive about 25 minutes to the next LocalISH FS. lol. hope that helps

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
thanks for the help--I guess I am truly trying to avoid buying a pre-arranged tank....does that make sense....like all the parts inside kind of deal.....I really dont mind purchasing the kits and other items like salt at the store...

what about fish--do you all purchase on line or buy from local store???? which is better??

Last edited: