Upgrading tank

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i have always promoted glass because of the scratching issue, but something to consider is that most scratches can be buffed out of acrylic...and it is more clear than glass unless you get some really fancy smanshy glass. the other thing is acrylic tanks have fewer seams to go bad

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
depends on what model you get, but no I have an aqua-c remora with out a sump, i really like it alot, quiet very effiecient, I would recomend if you keep it with out a sump the accesorries offered with it, However sumps are very nice, they add more water so better water quality, its a place to keep media, also and equipment you need out of the tank, I would myself rather have a sump but it was not destined to be.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
no the cant...becaus the pump is situated so it cannot be hung in the tank...also think about the names. One is Urchin for sitting on the bottom. The other is Remora because it hangs on. They are the sam skimmer but one was designed to stay in sump and the other HOB.

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
Ok, so no one really answered my first question...............no matter what size tank I buy.........................what would be the best way to transfer what is in my old tank to a new one???????????

Also, I used crushed coral in myold tank would like to change to sand.....

any suggestions?????????

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
ok, well what about my fish----wont that be bad for them......especially if the tank I am moving them to is much bigger.............

I guess Icould run both tanks for awhile.................

I am looking at a 55 gallon bow front--what do you think about those??

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
No. YOu're going from 30 to 55. Assume you'll end up transferring 20 gallons of water and dumping the rest. Mix up 15 gallons of water i nthe new tank, or a rubbermaid or whatever, and try to leave it for 2 or 3 days. Then get to work.
Get yourself a 5 gallon bucket or two. Put water in these, put in livestock. Put these in corner of room, put heater in if possible, powerhead with flow turned down. Cover with towel to minimise stress. Also put liverock in these if you can.

Clean out substrate by vigorous hoovering. This is the tricky bit , especially if you have a dsb. Frankly a lot of people dump a lot of substrate at this point.

Now put in about 20 gallons of your old water via buckets or whatever. Get to temp, put in hardware. Start it up. Your tank will probably look very shallow. Your SG should, if you've done it properly, be close to the old.

So basically drip acclimate in the livestock and live rock. Finished. Just add extra water over the next few days to get up to level. Your fish will have enjoyed a large water change, and you are finished. It really isn't that difficult if you plan, and are careful

crisput

Small Fish
Feb 2, 2005
You know I am going from a ten to a 55................I have been doing frequent water changes--about 1-2 times a month b/c my tank was so small...............how often do you suggest I complete water changes on this larger tank and how much at a time..........just wanting to know what you do.........................

I am going to be switching my crushed coral for sand........I guess I just have in my mind for some reason that my Good Ole Bacteria is living in that subsrate and if I through it away I have lost it...................why do I think that? can you explain it simply without having to write an entire book...?

I have been searching for good reading material but have not had any luck---most of the books focus on fish---I dont want to know about that now---- just set ups and what to buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant find anything on just that with good pictures and instructions--------I dont know anyone who has a saltwater tank and you all are all that I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent the weekend at the local pet stores looking for the perfect tank and nothing..............