Urgent: Need new filter, which one?

One other thing I forgot... does "Stress-Coat" remove chlorine/chloramine and treat for heavy metals? I know there are some "conditioners" that do other things and I'm not familiar with "Stress-Coat". I did Google it and found this...http://www.pondliner.com/StressCoat.htm so if you have this, it does dechlor the water but I know many people advise against the stuff with Aloe or Slime enhancers. Many more experienced aquarists than me suggest getting something simple like "Chlor-out" which only does the dechlor and heavy metals treatment.

One other thing, doing 25% PWC's every four hours to remove toxins will not harm your pets as long as you treat the tap water first. If there is visible debris floating in the water, keep vacuuming it as it settles and do 25% PWC's ever four hours until it is reasonably clean.

I'm assuming you took out the UGF. It would have been better to move your fish to a temporary home like a plastic tub with your HOB running in it but if you did remove the UGF with the fish in the tank, you want to keep doing the PWC's to make sure you remove any toxins that were under the UGF plate. Hopefully, with your HOB running and doing PWC's, you will not lose any more fish.

Last edited:

Opesus

Medium Fish
Mar 9, 2005
GoldLenny said:
One other thing, doing 25% PWC's every four hours to remove toxins will not harm your pets as long as you treat the tap water first. If there is visible debris floating in the water, keep vacuuming it as it settles and do 25% PWC's ever four hours until it is reasonably clean.

I'm assuming you took out the UGF. It would have been better to move your fish to a temporary home like a plastic tub with your HOB running in it but if you did remove the UGF with the fish in the tank, you want to keep doing the PWC's to make sure you remove any toxins that were under the UGF plate. Hopefully, with your HOB running and doing PWC's, you will not lose any more fish.
Thanks for the feedback.

I had the fish in while taking it out, but I had 2 siphons running and did another 25% water change, and I dumped in some salt after doing that... My shrimp kept trying to swim into all the gunk to eat it.