Vent about LFS

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
but, don't feed them too much......they will also produce ammonia and can aid in your cycle.....though they add so little....just keep testing and testing....if you see a spike do a water change if you have animals in there though this may slow your cycle too......they should all be fine......Actually you probably could add the clowns as they are pretty hardy but I wouldn't push it yet......give it a bit of time and all will be fine, don't be discouraged if you get an algae bloom these are normal steps and events in the process of aging your tank.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
oh this is so exciting, i feel like i am going for major surgery and everyone is giving me advise!

I think i am going to start tonight with something small. Probably only 1 blood shrimp. I don't want to get any snails yet as I don't have any fish in the tank.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
First, let me say I think you should wait a while before adding anything...this tank has only been up a few weeks right?

If you do want to hurry things along, let me throw this in:

blood shrimp = not a good idea

start with some less sensitive and less expensive inverts. If you pay $35 for a blood shrimp and then discover there is some sort of problem in your tank (shrimp dies) you will be very unhappy...try a couple hermit crabs and snails instead. I don't know why you don't want to get snails without fish, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

also, know that shrimp really aren't part of a cleanup crew.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Do you guys think it is better if I hold off? I don't want to jump the gun here, i think i got the impression from wayne that because of the LR my tank would be ok.

I have no problem holding off because I wasn't planning on getting any fish untill around september.

I think I automatically asumed that you need fish for snails. What do snails eat then? Algee

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
yes for the most part, some eat detritus such as nassarius snails others will eat various forms of algae. Hermits are scavengers and will eat either. Right now you may have to supplement feed them a very very very small amount

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
ok... Not to rush... keep it slow... I am gonna wait....

I won't rush into thins, I must have read things differently in my eagerness to put some fish in.

Thanks everyone