WAL-MART FISH

cory

Medium Fish
Apr 30, 2003
In
Visit site
So all i have in town is a wal mart. they have some pretty fish over there. they are cheap, too. Well i was looking at the tanks. all i could see was this pretty fish. She was so bright. she had so meny colors. female guppies don't have alot of color. the mollies are so active.They had so many corydoras. So i buy a some. three guppies, two mollies and four corys. i get them home i float them in the tanks for about 30 mins. guppies in one tank, mollies in another and the corys in another. all different tanks.. about three hours after having them 3 fish die. i have bought other fish from pet shops, they all lived. do walmart fish die out of the blue like that or was it me???:confused: :(

Last edited:

zimmerlyct

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Northern VA
Did you really "look" at the fish in Wal-Mart? They don't have the best fish in the World. They seem to neglect the fish after they put them in the tank. Next time you are in there, take a better look at them. I'd stick to buying supplies from WallyWorld and fish from your lfs.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Did you only float the bags in the water?? I mean did you float them for 15min(for temp. sake) and then dump half out and replace with half your tanks water. I'd do that twice. Once every 15min. That way if other water peramiters(not just temp.) are different in your water(such as ph) this couldhave shocked your fish.

cory

Medium Fish
Apr 30, 2003
In
Visit site
well here is the thing about walmart, they tell you not to put there water in your tank. As stated on the bags when you buy the fish.. they say they get water from all over the world with the fish they buy. the lady says it is gross sometimes because fish they get are all dead sometimes..sometimes the fish are ok and some they are sick,but they put them in there tanks anyway.. i did float the bags for a least 30 mins.

lizwinz

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Racine, WI
i dont think anyones telling you to put store water into your tank

i think what they meant was you take half of the water and dump it out (not in your fish tank but in your sink or something)

then add some of your tank water to the bag and repeat

that way the fish get used to your water parameters

also being in the bag that long probably shocked and stressed them which probably didnt help, even if it didn't cause the deaths

i have no idea how long it took you to get home but i personally would not leave fish in a bag with no fresh water for 30min if i could help it...if you take into account store and travel time they might have been in that bag for 45 minutes or more

oxygen gets used up and ammonia builds up...not good

--liz:)

cory

Medium Fish
Apr 30, 2003
In
Visit site
i live about 5min from walmart and the tanks at this walmart are set for 61 d and my tanks are set for 78. and i had a lot of water in the bags, about 6 cups for each bag. so i had to let the water warm up. i got 2 angels today from a pet shop that is more than 25 miles away from the city i live and they are doing fine.

lightning

Large Fish
Dec 30, 2002
Texas
Visit site
i was at walmart the other night <10:30> there was a dad buy a 10gal fish tank and all the set-up , his young girls <about 7 & 9> were steadily picking out all differnt fishes, they didnt have a clue

Oct 29, 2005
My Job

Hi I work at my local wal mart and i have to admit that I've heard horror storys about other stores. But it all depends on who takes care of them. I am
a hobbiest and I take great care of the fish there. Cleanest takes around i've heard. If you have a problem buying fish there I'd just take to the store managre and ask him to find someone to devote there time to take care of them

Oct 29, 2005
The main problem I run into there is uneducated people who dont know how to take care of them and dont want to learn. we have to give them what they want all we can do is offer sugjestions. Like don't mix our water with your tanks they might have diffrent chemicals. Float the bag for 15 to 30 min. Read what fish will go with the ones you may already have. Dont over croud your fish. and last if they die within 72 hrs bring them back. I got 10 fish ther 4 mixed fruit 5 red eyes and an algie eater. I've had them for 4 months now and there fine.