Walmart Fish

How does your Walmart handle & care for their fish?

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Satisfactory

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Below average

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Walmart should not sell live animals

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
I was doing a little early Christmas shopping and I was in Walmart I didn't know they sold fish in this store, I couldn't help myself and went by the fish. I saw a few dead ones, the water looked clean but they keep too many fish in each aquarium:mad: There were two dead goldfish floating in some blue water they looked like they were dead for a long time, the bettas looked OK but very unhappy, the container lids said to feed once a day sparingly and to change 1/3 of the water once a week!:mad: Were talking about half filled cups not bowls. There wasn't even a care sheet. So I made my own caresheet and taped it above the betta section *thumbsups Lets hope it stays up for a long time. I will never buy fish from walmart.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2005
the last two times at was at wal-mart, i wanted so badly to rescue all the poor little bettas. the roosevelt boulevard walmart is terrible. and the store at my mom's house up north takes much better care of their wall-unit aquariums, but the bettas still all looked sickly and on the verge of death.

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
The bettas actually look pretty good in my Wal-Mart, but mine died within two months of having him. It's the goldfish that make me sick, their tanks are so disgusting. You can see them gasping for air because they are being poisoned by their own waste. All of the tanks are extremely overcrowded as well. I've complained about it twice but they haven't done anything to change it. So, I only go there if I absolutely have to and I never buy fish from there.

Sep 8, 2005
Everytime i go to walmarts its like passing the scene of a bad accident. You don't want to look but you just have too. The fish are dead or dying and covered with ich. The employees do not have a clue and always have an excuse. They had oscars in with goldfish the last time i was there. I wish i knew someone in the media so they could blast walmarts out of the water.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Sprawl-Mart is just bad news altogether, I don't care how much of their "Look what good boys we are" crap they feed to us. Let's face it, they've undermined the fabric of this country by swallowing small businesses, denying unions, underpaying their employees, and just generally behaving in a way that makes it more than obvious that their only concern is the bottom line, and not people.

Should we expect any less of them in how they treat animals?

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I never visited a WallMart for all my 7 years in US. So, I did not vote because i do not know. My experience with big chain stores is that you never know what to expect. Sometimes selected departments can be surprisingly efficient. Prob it depends on a particular manager.
In my area i visited some stores selling fish. 2 of them are PetsMart which are sharply different from each other: one has depressingly dirty and parasite-infested fishtanks and another is quite tolerable - selection is not that great but tanks are clean and fish (except for gouramis, i swear) look healthy. All dwarf gouramis are half dead all the time. :(

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
The walmart I work at is only satisfactory. When I ran the department(mind you, I got promoted out of there only a week ago) it was excellent. The tanks were always clean, the fish were almost always healthy, except when the supplier sent me sick one, which happend every darn week. Of course the tanks were overstocked, but ya kinda have to do that so people will buy them. Which is unfortunate for the fish of course. I checked out the tanks last night before I got done, and I was disgusted. The guy that took my spot said he would keep up my store rep of haveing nice tanks and great fish knowledge. Well, I guess he lied. I plan on having a little conversation tommorrow morning when he comes in.

Sandtiger

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Simi Valley, CA
My Wal-Mart is not really the best fish seller out there, but their not bad. I heard that the manager decided not to sell bettas anymore because they couldn't take care of them. Go whatever the manager is named!:D Now that is responsible!

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
I was just in our local walmart afew days ago and couldnt stand looking at the tanks and had to walk away...in one tank was full of tiny frogs..every one of them were dead. A tank of puffers, several were dead and more on the way, in yet another tank full of clownloaches several were on their way down..all because "someone" is not doing their job, or gives a rip about them. Pretty disgusting.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
it depends

I guess it depends on the people that take care of the fish. My local Petsmart is usually on the ball. But A few days ago the tiny betta cups were only half full, and there was a dead one on the shelf I guess the little guy tried making a break for it:( . One betta had a bad swim bladder*SICK* . Most of the time the cups are full and all the bettas appear healthy but like I said it depends who takes of them. But I still believe fish should only be sold in pet stores.

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
I had it out friday morning with the putz that took over in pets when I got promoted. He had 15 oscars in the oscar tank, about 20 africans in another. And almost every tank was filled with algae, poo, and dead fish. If i didnt get a 2 dollar raise, I would go back. But unfortunatley, you cant raise a family on fish.