Walmart tanks

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
We recently bought one of the Walmart 10g kits (Regent brand, $27). You need to make sure it's on a good stand. We didn't have ours fully supported, and it cracked. We were able to mend it easily enough, but it was a pain. They're not as well made as the All-Glass tanks, with the frame being flimsier and the sealant work not as tidy. Ours bows significantly more than the All-Glass one. The filters they come with are OK (not great). The hood is fine. Having said that, it's a deal that's hard to beat. I'm not sure if the deluxe one is any more sturdy. The incandescent hood on the basic kit is easily converted to a 2wpg tank with CF bulbs, which is nice if you want to have plants. The basic kit also doesn't have a heater.

mariners

Large Fish
Aug 31, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Yeah both my tanks are from walmart and they run fine, just have them on some cheap tables i bought from ikea and never had a problem. Lotus when you say convert them to a 2wpg tank with cf bulbs, do you mean you have to replace the whole hood or just the bulbs? The only bulbs i've seen are long tube flouresant and incandescent, what does cf stand for?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
There are 2 kinds of hoods on the Walmart tanks, one is with the flourescent strip, the other is with screw-in incandescent bulbs. For the incandescent hood, you can get screw-in compact flourescents (CF), either the spiral kind or the straight kind. I got the Walmart 10 watt screw in flourescents from the fish section, 2 of which fit in the hood.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
All my tanks are from walmart, even the 55 and 29. I have four of the 10g ones, but I bought the "deluxe" ones that were 50. I also have two of the double stands from walmart.I love themThey're very sturdy and its nice to have two tanks on one stand when you're low on room!:D And, actually, the stands for the 55 and 29 are from walmart too. They're nice looking - all black with four cabinets on the 55 and two cabinets on the 29.

There's nothing wrong with them:) And you can't beat the price.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I could have sworn Walmart sold All Glass brand tanks...or maybe they just sell them also. Everything I've ever gotten from them has been just as good or better than the stuff I've gotten from Petsmart or my other LFS...and lets not forget LESS EXPENSIVE!

Jul 15, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
I have this love/hate relationship with WalMart. While I love shopping there, I hate what they represent. That being said, I have no complaints about the tank kits. The aquariums don't leak and I haven't had any experiences with them bowing. I would also suggest that you upgrade the filter that comes with it (or add another one, but I believe in overkill when it comes to filtration).

I have never known of any WalMarts that I have ever been in to sell All Glass until just recently. They have now, if I am remembering correctly, a 42 gal bowfront with metal stand and a single or double (can't remember just now) flourescent light fixture/hood for $187 + change. I don't know what brand my other WalMart tanks are but I am almost 99% sure they are not All Glass.

mariners

Large Fish
Aug 31, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
ur walmart sells bowfronts????? mine just sells 5, 10,20 and 55 gallon rectangular tanks. im going to walmart to see if i can find any of those cf bulbs...

i bought most of my stuff from there, gravel cleaner, some food, algae pad, fake plants and some fish , and would easily do it again.

Jul 15, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
I have been in three different WalMarts in the last couple of weeks that have them. I have never seen them there before so I don't know if this is something new they are getting into or if it is just for the holidays. I am not crazy about metal stands but this was a nice looking setup.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I think they're $168 and include tank, hood, filter, heater (and other things like a net, water conditioner and fish food sample). I am not sure if they include the flourescent bulb with it or not, and am not 100% sure there is a heater in there.

T/A

Large Fish
Aug 7, 2003
Pennsylvania
www.myspace.com
Leopardess, what is the wattage of the heater? Is the filter actually rated for a 55 gallon tank?
I was looking at a 29 gallon kit for $78(which is a great price) but the filter was only rated for 10 to 15 gallons. So I am now really cautious about buying an all-in-one kit.