Walmart tanks

Sep 12, 2003
Springfield, MO
I think the filters that come with the tanks are either a wisper 60 or a regent filter equivalent to the penguin 330 but without the bio-wheel, for the 55.

I do not think the tanks are made any cheaper Wal-Mart buys everything in mass quantites and can offer a lower price.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
well...as far as i can remember the filter for the 55 was for between 40-60 gallons. The heater is 200w i believe.

My 29 came with a filter rated for 20-40....perhaps they have changed them since you looked? or was thatt recent?

All I know is that the tank and stand of the 55 are great. I upgraded the filter to a fluval 304, mostly because I jsut wanted an upgrade and canisters are better suited for planted tanks. I still use the filter that came with the 29, the heater too, and haven't had any problems at all:)

May 9, 2005
Im interested in the 29 gallon kits, although i actually dont want a kit. Does it come with stand? If not, does walmart sell 29 gallon stands? I would like a tank, hood, and stand then choose all equipment by myself, but of course that doesnt always happen. Willing to compromise.

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
Just to jump on, I bought the 55 gallon set up and the stand. I upgraded the heater and filter, but new I would going in. No leaks and the stand is a very sturdy design. I also got a couple of cheap wire baskets, about 7 inches long by 3 inches wide and screwed them onto the inside of the doors. Makes it nice to keep smaller stuff, i.e. hose connectors, backflow valves, etc.

One note about Walmart (or at least the local one): They will take anything back and it seems to always end up back on the shelves. I would not buy anything that even shows a hint of being opened before.

Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
I bought my 10g there with stand, and it is an All Glass brand aquarium. I had no problems at all with it, other than the Aquatek filter that comes with it is so cheap that the filter media won't stay in place because the flimsy plastic housing of the filter bowed and is now too wide to hold it. Other than that it was a great deal-heater, filter, hood. I replaced the flourescent hood with the incandescent hood and used the same compact flourescent bulbs mentioned earlier because it's like night and day the brightness level. The CF bulbs are very bright compared to the tube.

As far as bowfronts, they only sell up to a 5g acrylic bowfront and a 5g hex. I bought a 2.5g bowfront for my sick tank, and it come with a nice little incandescent hood and bulb. You don't need a heater because the bulb heats that little bit of water.
Overall, I think that everything Wal-Mart sells is fine, but stay away from the crappy Aquatek filters. They don't have the biowheel, and their housings are flimsy crap! Wal-Mart sells the Tetra Whisper right next to them for about $4 more, so spend the extra money.

May 9, 2005
KyleBradley said:
I bought my 10g there with stand, and it is an All Glass brand aquarium. I had no problems at all with it, other than the Aquatek filter that comes with it is so cheap that the filter media won't stay in place because the flimsy plastic housing of the filter bowed and is now too wide to hold it. Other than that it was a great deal-heater, filter, hood. I replaced the flourescent hood with the incandescent hood and used the same compact flourescent bulbs mentioned earlier because it's like night and day the brightness level. The CF bulbs are very bright compared to the tube.

As far as bowfronts, they only sell up to a 5g acrylic bowfront and a 5g hex. I bought a 2.5g bowfront for my sick tank, and it come with a nice little incandescent hood and bulb. You don't need a heater because the bulb heats that little bit of water.
Overall, I think that everything Wal-Mart sells is fine, but stay away from the crappy Aquatek filters. They don't have the biowheel, and their housings are flimsy crap! Wal-Mart sells the Tetra Whisper right next to them for about $4 more, so spend the extra money.
Wait which compact bulbs are you talking about? I want to get some for my incandescent hood but i dont just want to use normal household ones, are there any that aid plant growth?
BTW I'm gonna buy their 10 gallon tank, just tank nothing else. Its advertised as "double sealed" but the silicone job looks messy. Definetly not All-Glass brand. Its just 10 bucks and Im planning to either go screen lid or incandescent hood. These tanks are fine right?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2006
Massachusetts
turtlefish said:
Wait which compact bulbs are you talking about? I want to get some for my incandescent hood but i dont just want to use normal household ones, are there any that aid plant growth?
BTW I'm gonna buy their 10 gallon tank, just tank nothing else. Its advertised as "double sealed" but the silicone job looks messy. Definetly not All-Glass brand. Its just 10 bucks and Im planning to either go screen lid or incandescent hood. These tanks are fine right?
My Wal Mart has the compact flourescents right in the fish area. They are skinnier and brighter than normal ones, and my plants look beautiful. I don't know if they are the spectrum that facilitates plant growth, but my plants are really thriving.