Wanted fish

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I would like to get the following fish for my tank, but would like to know when I should add each and more about each of them. I guess what am I looking for in the tank, like those pod thingies, before I could add them.

One clownfish, just like nemo
one watchman gobie
one blenny
one firefish
two shrimp, maybe pistol, and cleaner

Any idea where I can find more information them and how to care for them and what to expect?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information

is a great site for overall information. Liveaquaria is good too but only has basic information.

The fish you picked are a great mix. The watchman much like my wheelers gobie would be good with a pistol shrimp. There are tricks to get them to host together. As for the clownyou should do a pair, get the small and let them sort out the sex part on their own. They will probably be the only fish you will see all the time. The firefish and the blenny could be shy, but overall you have a nice peaceful group.....I would get rid of the damsels before introducing any of them. I would add the clowns last as they are probably the most territorial of those that you have picked, otherwise I would add one every couple of weeks allowing your tank to build up to handle the added bioload. Of those that you chose, your lack of pod population won't be an issue as most of them will readily take prepared foods. Your pictures look great and you are off to a great start....good luck...and we look forward to more pictures.....

NEW2SW

Small Fish
Jun 25, 2006
I too would like a pair of clown fish, i currently have one blue damsel adn one chromis, do i need to remove them before introducing a new fish like the clowns?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I want to make sure my tank is peaceful so I'll probably be betting rid of the damsesls down the road. What species would you recommed? I'm open for ideas. I've been reading endlessely about what fish are good together, when to add, and just about everything else I can find. Most of the fish I have been looking at are from liveaquaria.com.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Check out the dwarf angels and the fairy wrasses. Both will work with the fish you've selected, and are a bit more active and fun to watch than most of those (except the clown). You'd want to introduce an angel last, but they're just awesome fish with a ton of personality.

Also, you will probably want a pair of firefish to help make them less skittish.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Really? I thought the Angel fish would be too large for my tank and they all seem prone to nip at coral. I eventaully want to have some corals after I upgrade my lighting. I do like the wrassies though. Which one of them is better though? I guess not better, but more active?

Lorna, thanks for the link. I've been reading up on that site for the past few days now. There is a ton of information that site.

What about a yellowhead Jawfish? Or would the gobie and the jawfish fight too much for food?

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Any of the fairy wrasses are very peaceful and are reef safe. The dwarf angels don't get too large, but some of them can be coral nippers.

Jawfish need a deep sand bed, like 5-6" deep.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well I am going to try adding a coral beauty to my 75g and hope for the best.....if it doesn't behave it may have to go to another home after. I have heard that if you get them young enough and keep them fed that they are less prone to discover that clams & corals are tasty treats......... I am not sure about a jawfish and a gobie. I would think they would have trouble together as both are substrate dwellers....I too am looking for something that swims about in and out of the liverock all day but that will get along and play well with others.......

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Clown last. Other than that, they're all insanely peaceful and it doesn't really matter. If you want to get a goby/pistol shrimp pair, you should get them already together from the LFS.

Lorna, I also encourage you to check out the fairy wrasses. Peaceful, colorful, active, reef safe... what more could you want? They do jump, though... :(

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Oh yeah, forgot that you already had fish in the tank... You wouldn't want to add ANY of those fish with the damsels still there, particularly not the firefish.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
They look like a cool fish, but liveaquaria.com recommends a 125 gallon tank to support a group. I don't want to over crowd my tank. If I ever upgrade I'll have to get some. I think i'm going to go with the firefish first,(Nemateleotris magnifica)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You've plenty of room for a small angel. Some pick at corals, some don't, and that's trues of indiviuals and species. But it's worth the risk i.m.o. You'll find reefsafe a pretty flexible term - some corals jsut get picked by everything(!) - open brains, Trachophyllia are pretty, easy beginners corals that are almost pure fish candy.