Wanted some algae - now theres too much

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I've have added iron to my system a few times recently, in the hope that it would encourage some algae growth which would feed my grazing critters (angels, brittlestar, urchin etc).

I also removed the phosphate/silica removing sack that the fluval was pushing water through (sorry, don't know the product name) in the hopes that again it would encourage algae growth.

My system appeared quite sterile before I took these steps, but now the oposite is happening. Green algae is growing too ferociously (in the fact that the glass needs cleaning at least daily). It looks like what I would describe a green slime algae. I haven't added any iron in at least 3 weeks.

Can I ask what might be the likely cause? The iron or the removed filter? Or maybe something else?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
"careful what you wish for" ;) Sorry I know thats not much help. Um you might try putting the pouch back in...just because I know that phosphates etc will really kick up the algae growth. Have you tested the levels in your tank?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would put that phosphate remover back in, and tune up your skimmer. Green slime is likely a kind of cyano so...
pH up, salinity up, flow up and clean the substrate. Normally a tank will go through about 6 months of different algae types,looks like you've started

Jul 29, 2005
wayne said:
I would put that phosphate remover back in, and tune up your skimmer. Green slime is likely a kind of cyano so...
pH up, salinity up, flow up and clean the substrate. Normally a tank will go through about 6 months of different algae types,looks like you've started
I'll get another phosphate removing pouch today.

As for tuning up the skimmer - it hasn't been producing nearly as much skimmate as it used to before I plumbed in my sump and moved everything into it. I used to get a cupfull of skimmate every 2 days or so, but now now I only get about 1/4 of a cup every week. Is it normal for a skimmer to be less effective in a 10G sump than it would be in a 90G display? Could this be contributing to the algae growth also?

pH is static, salinity is down (I find I need to top off soooooooo often) and flow is down.

Flow has been reduced in the display since I added the sump. This is because there is no longer the fluval, emporer, and skimmer adding to the current. Just one powerhead in there now, I feel I should add more. Again could this be adding to the algae?.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Salinity and flow down are both open invites for algae. Try to get one of the Seio pumps to move it around a bit (I have Tunze's but they are pricey for you). They are far more effective than majijets or rios or other olde worlde powerheads
The skimmer may be producing less if the water level in the sump is lower than the submersion level in the main display as it will effectively give you a drop in flow.

Jul 29, 2005
Not sure if cyano is what I have. My specific grav is at 1.024 (which is where I try to keep it).

Thanks for the recommendation Wayne. Would positioning one or 2 more powerheads in my system be advantageous, while I wait to get my grubby mitts on a Seio?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'submersion level'. However it seems to make sense to me that the water in the skimmer might have been skimmed and filtered a bunch of times before it leaves the sump and returns to the display. Surely that would cause less skimmate.

Ryan, Cyano = Cyanobacteria = Slime Algae (usually red but comes in all colours)

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
yeah if your return pump isn't strong compared to the power of your skimmer, you'll polish the same water again and again.

If you can't adjust the water flow of your skimmer, and the water level in your sump is lower in your sump, the water level in your skimmer will be lower so...the bubbles won't reach the cup.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
yeah if your return pump isn't strong compared to the power of your skimmer, you'll polish the same water again and again. <<That's not really a problem, and not normally the case>>

If you can't adjust the water flow of your skimmer, and the water level in your sump is lower in your sump, the water level in your skimmer will be lower so...the bubbles won't reach the cup.<<That's it>>

Get us a photo - I would be surprised if it isn't cyano. More little powerheads will help, but don't spend money on them, use them if you have them. I don't recall, how deep is your substrate, how often do you 'vacuum'?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I tested my coralife skimmer in my sump, and i can adjust the water level, and i noticed a big change when i switched and put it in my tank. My skimmer is rated "true" 220g ( supposely can manage 400g ) , and what i use as a return pump is a simple AC30 powerhead ( 125g/h ) at 60-75 % of it's max power...but my 10g sump is higher than my tank, so i don't lose much power due to the height. Anyways, since i have a weak flow, a tiny 10g and my skimmer is huge, i think it be quite possible that in my case, it was an overkill problem. Params were the same as now, and i don't add products that can excite the skimming.

Jul 29, 2005
Other than polishing the same water over and over, I'm still not understanding why housing my HOB skimmer in my sump under my main display casuses it to be less efficient. I don't understand the whole water level thing. The skimmer doesn't know the water it's cycling is under another much larger amount of water. I do understand that the skimmer has to work harder as the water level in the sump drops, which leads to another problem. The evaporation levels are much more exaggerated in the 10G, which means unless I top off every 2 or 3 days the water level will drop below the pump of my skimmer. I lose about an inch a day even though I have a canopy and glass. A p.i.t.a.

My substrate is 3-4" deep and I don't vaccuum often. Just once about a month ago.

I'll get some batteries and take a pic to verify it being cyano, but I fear i wil just look olive green

I have a couple of powerheads that I use for preparing water. I'll drop those in.

I am noticing some lips marks on the glass which means my angels are grazing. So the idea of suppling more food through algae growth is working, although obviously with it's drawbacks.

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Did you change your pump or pump rater when you stuck the skimmer in the sump. If not , the shallower water is giving you gip as you need to push the water and foam further up the tube above the surface level to reach the top. You are failing to do this, plus wildly varying water levels always give skimmers gip (problems). Learn to top up every day, and you might consider dripping kalk rather than pure water

Substrate - do you think it's working as a denitrafication area - if it's covered with green slime it certainly isn't.

Jul 29, 2005
I havent changed anything on the skimmer, or it's pump. I've read lot's of comments about the bio-balls being bad. Should I consider removing them from the skimmer?

If it isn't avoidable, topping up every day is by all means do-able.

I've no idea if my substrate is denitrifying. It isn't covered with algae at all, thankfully. I'm assuming my scavangers are keeping it clean. The algae seems just on the glass and does seem to be growing at a lesser rate than it has been.

All the same, my wife picked up some Phos-Zorb for me today which I'll drop in the fluval a little later.

The urchin seems a little more perked up recently (poss. due to algae?) and I just noticed one of the Engineer (convict) gobies has died. The maroon clown is sharing it with his anenome. I thought Engineer gobies were supposed to be one of the hardiest of species, often being the last fish left standing in a poor system.

Anyway, time to get my paws wet.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
All right, how big are the grains in the sandbed. Also can you see different layers in it. Id you stir it, dos all sort of gunk come up and out. Th fact there's no algae on it is good.
I would readd the phosphate remover and see what happens

Jul 29, 2005
A mix of playsand and crushed coral so 2 - 4mm. The only layering is from where I havent completely mixed both substrates together. There isn't a lot of junk that stirs up from substrate, but there is some.

I didn't find time to add the Phos-Zorb tonight so that will wait till tomorrow. I did however scrape the glass

Should I remove the bioballs from my skimmer?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
they are probably adding to your nitrate problems so I would do it, but beware you probably have some benificial bacteria in there as well, so IF there are alot of them remove them a little bit at a time. if there are only a moderate amount, take them all out.