Wanted some algae - now theres too much

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i had 30 ppm of nitrates with bio-balls ( wich is not what a reef wants )...dropped under 5 after their removal.
Yeah if you wanna remove 'em, do it a little bit every couple of days to keep balance.
Phos-Zorb..had big problems with that..mostly my corals, but my tang did not appreciate it either. If i were you, i would aim phos-ban or rowa-phos..much better products

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Thanks Kahlua.
I'll take the bioballs out slowly as you suggested. There is already a few less than I orginally started with. One of my 3 cats likes to fish them out and bat them around the house.
The Phos-Zorb is now in, and I've added a couple more powerheads. I'll update with any changes to my tank conditions.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I've had a replacement Phos-Zorb in my tank for 4 or 5 days now and the growth of the green algae has slowed to a more manageable level. I still need to scrape the glass on a daily basis to keep it looking good, instead of the every 4th or 5th day that I was doing it before this outbreak, but at least I can no longer see the algae growing before my very eyes. Maybe it'll slow, either after the added iron has depleted, or when the tank matures a little. Thanks for the help guys.

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
RockingCricket said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'submersion level'. However it seems to make sense to me that the water in the skimmer might have been skimmed and filtered a bunch of times before it leaves the sump and returns to the display. Surely that would cause less skimmate.

Is your flow to your sump much less than what your skimmer was taking in before it was moved down below? In other words, if your skimmer is getting less water to it now it will produce skimmate slower.