Water Change = Death?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
That is fine (that's what I was trying to say). I wouldn't worry about the salt, that's not going to be causing sudden deaths since you're not adding like 2tsp per gallon or anything insane like that.

mcsully

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2006
MOsborne05 said:
You can raise the pH and keep it stable by using aragonite, crushed coral or eco-complete cichlid substrate, or adding some coral reef rocks for decoration. If the salt is for the cichlids, then why are you also adding it to the other tank with the cory cats?
I've actually added it in all my tanks.. And never had an issue. Just of late i've had some issues with it. The corey cat and Tiger barb are in two different tanks and died at two different times..

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
No problem. That's what my mom was doing initially when I first got a SW tank, but she didn't do it too much before I told her otherwise. It's hard to OD salt on a freshwater tank, but really easy for marine since it evaporates so much and you would think it would be common sense to refill with saltwater.

I use Wardley water conditioner, and something else at home... Top fin maybe? Not really sure (it's in a little yellow bottle, if that helps).

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
What are your Nitrate and Ph readings.

If there is doubt (and this thread is getting confusing) regular aquarium tonic salt will do little to anything to raise the pH or hardness of water. Epsom salts on the other hand can raise the hardness of the water (GH I belive).

Aquarium salt does not act in the same manner as marine salt when in water. I highly doubt that it could be affecting the salinity enough in the FW to be causing the fish problems.

Is the bottle of water dechlor new? If not is there any chance that something may have contaminated it?

Check with your water company to see if they have recently made any changes to the treatment of your water. Then I would buy a new bottle, maybe even a different brand of water conditioner making sure that it removes chlorine, chloramine's and detoxifies heavy metals. I use Prime for what it's worth.

The more information you can provide at one time the easier it's gong to be for someone to help you figure out what's going on in your tank.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I use Prime and really recommend it. Amquel+ is good also.

Have someone else test your water just to be sure your test kit is accurate and leave out the salt, as others have mentioned it really isn't advised for a healthy freshwater tank. Also, some freshwater fish are very sensitive to it. It is good to keep handy for emergencies and I do advise people who keep fish to have some aq. salt and carbon handy but not use either unless warranted. You may also wish to test your tap water as well as call the water dept. to see if they've recently changed anything.