Water Change Question

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Stop saying **** about stuff being bad equipment. We're not all rich like you and can't affored top of the line equipment. There is nothing wrong with coralife! Nothing wrong with seaclone! I won't spend money on an aquac product. Its just overkill. I have had no issues with my seaclone skimmers. If you don't like it, tough ****. Keep it to yourself.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
ouch, no need for that reaction....this site is for opinions and people can voice theirs if they so want without being slammed for it. If you haven't had any problems with your skimmer then that is great but there are far more people on these forums who HAVE had issues with certain makes and models than have had success. Some of these skimmers need so much after market modifications that it makes it hard for a beginner or someone not too handy to modify their equipment to be efficient and successful. I have had both inexpensive equipment and some very expensive equipment. Hands down I would spend a bit more out of the box to obtain a quality item. With that being said, you basically get what you pay for. I still say to research your purchases carefully, take a poll amongst various forums, see what other hobbyists have to say and press those that have had problems for specifics. Then make a well thought out researched investment.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well maybe your the exception fishmonger and belive me in no way am i even close to being rich! cant say i would mind being rich tho lol it would make this hobby a little easier... i buy most of my equipment used from other reefers so that helps alot and if i dont have enough to get what i want ill save up till i do... ive bought enough coralife stuff over my years in this hobby to truley mean it when i say it junk! im not saying it to talk down on anyone who has it but simply try and stop someone from making the same mistakes i have... you can quit beating around the bush and buy a quality piece of equipment the first time or you can upgrade 3 times before you get what your looking for and end up paying ALOT more in the long run, its your choice ;) sorry if you were offended by any of my comments but im entitled to my own opinion as are you

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I didn't say anything to my LFS about the skimmer he sold me, I understand why he sells the lower end skimmers. You have someone like me walk into the store and buys a tank, stand, heaters, pumps, salt, lights and all that goes into having a SW tank and I guess he figures it makes the bottom line a bit more bearable up front and that you can up grade later when you have the tank up and running. How much does a good skimmer cost and what are some brands I should be looking at?? I won't buy without getting it approved here, I just need to start looking at the right brands. It dosn't have to be the best but at least a good one.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
personally id go with an octopus extreme and defintly buy used... buying used is the only way i can afford to buy a higher end skimmers and stuff and IMO a quality skimmer is the back bone of a successful reef tank

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree with Tre, buy used through the forums sale sites etc. Octopus is good and I personally really liked my Euro Reef.....Aqua C makes a gread in sump and there are a whole set of new cone bubble king types that are very high end....when you get up in tank size you will need a good skimmer that can handle about 300+ gallons. These are expensive but if you get one used and use it now....it is just one more piece of equipment that you can use in the new build.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
not so hard, a lot of people change their setup or quit. Google like : saltwater reef forum buy and sell + the name of your city, you might find local sellers.
I like those skimmers :
Hang-on Deltec MCE-600 :

SWC Xtreme 200 :

SWC Xtreme Cone ( this one is wow..but 750$ )

ATI bubblemaster 250 ( also wow and dual pump )

Octopus 3000rc :

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Well, I was going to buy a few frags but I guess getting a new skimmer sould be first on my list. Sounds good lol, but I am sure I will get a few frags first.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
My LFS has a web site forum, I told him what ya'll said about my skimmer, he agrees with you. He said he sold me that skimmer because when he sold me my tank and skimmer, I had told him that I was only going to grow zoas and polys and he said that my skimmer is good enough for that. He said that for a full blown SPS tank that he agrees that I really need a bigger and better skimmer. Just thought I would let ya'll know that bit of info.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i actually just bought that same skimmer... the picture of the first swc is what i got... its identical to a octopus extreme but just happened to be what i found a deal on... btw i got my swc (msx 160) for $180 used, new it goes for about $280....alot of deals to be had on the reefcentral buying/selling forum