Well, I Finally Got Clearance

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
After 3 years of a fresh water 55 gallon tank, I finally got clearance to convert it into a saltwater aquarium; my ultimate dream. What would you recommend for a beginner, reef or fish only? I've already got the tank so what equipment will I need. Is there a good site that will get me going here?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
its best to pick what you want (reef vs fo), either one is equally feasable as a first tank but it can be costly to change your mind midstream

this is a great site to get you going and keep you going

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
read read read, go out and purchase atleast 3 different books on the subject and read tem all cover to cover, start with mike palettas new marine aquarium and 2 others of your choice, they will point you in the right direction for equipment ect, once youve read those come back to us and ask any questions that the books didnt clear up
good luck

Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Well...reading is a given. So I'll explain some procedures to keep in mind while planning a reef. Money, patience, and knowledge are key. You have to have a fairly large amount of money to set-up and maintain the reef. Patience, I have seen many people jump into the hobby and have a full blown reef in a few weeks. TAKE YOUR TIME! Its better to do something once then waste time and money to do it over again. Third is knowledge. Research for your sake and the fishes. I'm not saying all, but some LFS will try to manipulate and rip you off. If you know a little bit, that will eliminate that option for them.

With tha being said...three key peices of equiptment are a protein skimmer, lighting (power compacts or halides), and live rock. With these items you can set yourself up for success.

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Well guys, I got the set up. I went this weekend and got what I needed and set it up. You can see some pics here - http://blogs.aspadvice.com/dgottlieb/gallery/177.aspx. My salinity is a bit high right now but I'm not gonna worry about it until the cycle is complete. The gravity of the water is at 1.027. I've got 45lbs of live rock and 2 bags of live sand in there, a powerhead and a magnum 350 canister filter that I had with my previous fresh water set up. What do you guys think?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
before everyone gets in a tizzy, if you delete the period from the link it works ;)

now down to bidness: a skimmer would be my first purchase. look into the AC Remora...its a really good HOT model...should set you back a couple hundered bucks...

what sort of lighting have you got on there? it looks pretty bright, but the hood looks like your average flourescent striplight, which isn't going to do it for a reef

the canister is going to be good for moving water...not sure how many gph it does, but in combination with the powerhead (maxijet?) you are going to want to push through around 550gph in theory

looks like it could use a few more pieces of LR to me...maybe arrange it something less like a clump, but of course that is a personal preference thing, its all about what you are trying to recreate...have you secured them together manually? or are they balanced? either way, just make sure they are stable!

looks like its coming along though! get that sg down to 1.024 or 5 ish and you will be cooking with grease

Last edited:

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Nice aspguru...i like the aquascaping...maybe a little more live rock. 1979camaro...lookin good. Need a big fish for the tank. Tang perhaps?

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Thanks guys! My canister does 350gph and yes, it's a standard strip light for my old hood. That is my dillema. I got clearance to get the lights as well but I'm not sure what to get. I asked at the LFS and I forgot what they told me to get for a 55 that won't get too hot. What do you recommend?
Right now I've got 45 lbs of live rock. I can get 10 more lbs to put in there. As you can see, I will probably add it to the right of the tank but honestly, right now I don't want toget too much more. The rock in there is pretty stable. I made sure.
I think the rock was already cured cause it didn't smell at all so hopefully my cycle will move right along quickly.
By the way, I think an algae bloom has started already. I'm seeing some green on the sand and on the rock. I have a feeling it came in with the LR. Is this a good or bad thing? Should I do something about it now or wait until the cycle is complete?
Thanks again!

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
umm...the link doesnt show any picture or details about the lights so im not sure. any lights are going to raise the water temperature some. with a canopy you will most likely need some fans to suck the heat out of the enclosed area

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Power compacts...this particualr model, very nice. I was going to recommend this to you anyways so your already one step ahead. You can keepmost corals and anemones with this lighting. The fixture is mountable, and with proper ventalation shouldnt give you any temp problems.

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
I got some more pictures posted as of today, day 3. I bought a protein skimmer, the Marineland SeaClone 100. I'm not real impressed with it because it isn't quiet and it produces a lot of tiny bubbles. If you go to http://davidgottlieb.net/mvi_0937.avi you will see a video of them. Is this too many? Will this harm the fish or is this normal for a protein skimmer to put out this many bubbles? Just trying to get some things straight before I keep this thing. Thanks again guys!

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
If you're concirned with the bubbles, put some plastic wrap in the cap and punch holes in it until it's what you want. The bubbles won't hurt anything but they will cause the salt to 'creep' more.

You could, of coarse, get a check valve for the airline. I find plastic wrap just as good.

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
I'm going to take this skimmer back. I found a leak already. There is a check valve on it but the less bubbles you let in, the more that come out. Strange. What is a good skimmer that isn't over $100? I need to find something that is going to be quiet. Right now, with the skimmer off, the tank is absolutely silent. I want it to stay at least close to that. Suggestions?