Well, I Finally Got Clearance

Nutfarm

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2004
Oregon
go4fun.org
I don't know about popular opinion around here, but my personal preferance for a small skimmer is a skilter. A skilter 400 would be perfect for your application IMHO.

edit: around $50 USD btw

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the red sea prizm is supposed to be pretty good for about $75

most people i have heard from havent had much luck with skilters, but i have no personal experience

i really think a good skimmer is something you dont want to skimp on. as s.reef mentioned, live rock, lights, and a skimmer are the essentials and a good skimmer will save you tons of headache

i would reconsider the $100 maximum budget

oh...and no skimmer is going to be silent...reefs make a little noise, its just life

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You know...I have owned every filter you talked about, seaclone, skilter and prism. After about 4 months they begin to suck. It would be better to buy a CPR backpack or a Ecalibur.

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
It's a trick with the light. I think it was the night light that comes on in the hall way with movement.
Get this, I came home from work today and was staring at my tank. All of a sudden, all this stuff started to come alive on the rock! A fire worm came out of a hole, I saw another tiny one walking around. I also saw like this little tube with an orange feathery thing sticking out. When I tapped the tank, he sucked right back in. So cool! There are a bunch of those little things but different colors. I also saw another tube with these like transparent looking worms just hanging out blowing in the powerhead current. This is cool as balls!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
THose are feather dusters or tube worms, depending....its pretty cool all the different levels of life from worms to snails to fish to bi-valves and plat life, thats why this hobby is so addicting
Brahm

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Well guys, I got some fish and coral today. I went to the LFS and got 2 orange clown fish and a mushroom pollup piece of coral. So far, everything looks good. The only thing is the clown fish are fascinated with the heater. Strange. They look good though.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the fish diseases will not be contracted by invertebrates as a general rule...what would be more of a concern is parasites getting in the LR and living there after the clowns died/contracted the disease because you cannot treat a tank with LR and inverts in it with most (all?) medications

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
I didn't quarantine them because the LFS I go to does only salt tanks and in doing some reading, the fish looked extremely healthy to me. I also know the girl that runs the place. She said they don't sell any fish that have slowed down, are not eating and who are looking down in the dumps. She said that they don't even recommend a quarantine tank. I trust them down there. Right now, they are looking good.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
thats all well and good, but if all their tanks are on one system (which many stores are) one sick fish in the whole store can infect the rest no matter how healthy the ones you buy look...i cant imagine a place which reccomends against QT

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I would quarantine everything. Lets say you add a fish and it gets velvet....your screwed. The substrate needs to be removed and live rock placed in a seperate tank. I must stress quarntine.

aspguru

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.aspalliance.com
Next time I'll do that. Should I use a 10 gallon tank for that? Do I have to take water from my tank to put them in there?
My next move I think is going to be a regal tang. I am dying to have one. The only bad thing I've heard is that they can get ich real easy.