Were to get a large fish tank

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I would agree with Stillness and DarkLies. Craigslist is a great place to find tanks (even in my TINY area). Yard sales can be great as well. That's where I found my 45gal bowfront. I paid $50 for the tank, the light (which is brand new and had never been used because the guy's old one broke in a quake in CA), a new Penguin 170 filter plus seven new filter cartridges (except it's missing the BIOWheel assembly, but that's easy to replace) and a box of miscellaneous chemicals and such. Had to scrub the heck out of the tank 'cuz it hadn't been used in five years and had to spend a whopping $4 on a half a cubic yard of decorative pebbles from Lowes (a lot cheaper than gravel at the pet store and looks really nice 'cuz it's bigger) and VIOLA! :)

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I will admit that I was EXTREMELY lucky to find my tank. I even talked the guy into the deal he gave me. He originally wanted $35 for just the tank and light, then he said he'd throw in 50lbs of new gravel for the same price. I called him later and asked how much he'd take for everything including the filter and he said $50. When I got there, he'd apparently already sold the gravel (was mildly miffed about that since he didn't say anything over the phone), but that was fine 'cuz he included the box of stuffs instead (they weren't part of the original price). I also have a friend who got a 29gal (I think) hex tank from her neighbor for FREE 'cuz the neighbor was going to throw it away. There was nothing wrong with the tank, either.

Julez

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2009
Pensylvania...
I will admit that I was EXTREMELY lucky to find my tank. I even talked the guy into the deal he gave me. He originally wanted $35 for just the tank and light, then he said he'd throw in 50lbs of new gravel for the same price. I called him later and asked how much he'd take for everything including the filter and he said $50. When I got there, he'd apparently already sold the gravel (was mildly miffed about that since he didn't say anything over the phone), but that was fine 'cuz he included the box of stuffs instead (they weren't part of the original price). I also have a friend who got a 29gal (I think) hex tank from her neighbor for FREE 'cuz the neighbor was going to throw it away. There was nothing wrong with the tank, either.

Im so jelious... YOU SUCK!!! *SUPERSMIL

no.1chuy

Large Fish
May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
thats a great price for your tank bass. but yea cragslist is where i got my tank its a 35 gallon eclipse hood i got it with everything except heater for 40 bucks i was super happy. if i were you i would try craigslist first

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Yeah, I know I suck. But it's okay! :-D lol
I've also found a couple of my tanks (including the tank I had before the 45gal...which was an 18gal Eclipse 1 system) at Goodwill. You have to be careful, 'cuz sometimes you get crap, but my 18gal was in perfect shape and I got a couple of small 1.5gal hexs there as well that worked out perfectly.

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
Woahhhhhhhh 0.0
My neighbor gave us the 55 gallon b/c they didn't want it anymore
A friend gave us the 35 gallon b/c he was upgrading to a 100 gallon saltwater (now he upgraded to a 250 gallon 0.0)
Another neighbor gave us the 1 gallon because she put 20 GOLDFISH IN THERE! 20!! WTF...and her son put cheetos, kool-aid, pizza, gummy bears, etc in there -.-

:D
I guess I can't complain too much =]=]
But these "free" tanks cost plentyy :D

Julez

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2009
Pensylvania...
Yeah, I know I suck. But it's okay! :-D lol
I've also found a couple of my tanks (including the tank I had before the 45gal...which was an 18gal Eclipse 1 system) at Goodwill. You have to be careful, 'cuz sometimes you get crap, but my 18gal was in perfect shape and I got a couple of small 1.5gal hexs there as well that worked out perfectly.
Ok cool... I looked on craigslist... they had a 120 with stand and full set up... for 600... Going to hafta wait for that one though.. I want to get a 55 set up so once I get a big big one for my oscars, I can move my barbs to the 55 and add some more... was also wondering.. can I put phantom tetras with tiger barbs?? and how big of a school of each could I put in a 55?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Woahhhhhhhh 0.0
My neighbor gave us the 55 gallon b/c they didn't want it anymore
A friend gave us the 35 gallon b/c he was upgrading to a 100 gallon saltwater (now he upgraded to a 250 gallon 0.0)
Another neighbor gave us the 1 gallon because she put 20 GOLDFISH IN THERE! 20!! WTF...and her son put cheetos, kool-aid, pizza, gummy bears, etc in there -.-

:D
I guess I can't complain too much =]=]
But these "free" tanks cost plentyy :D
Wowsers! You're lucky to have such great neighbors! I hear ya on that 1gal with the 20 goldfish in it. I bought a 1.5gal off CL that came with a beautiful female betta (dark dark turquoise with red fins), three comet goldfish, and three crawdads. Not as bad as the 20 goldfish, but still BLECH! I moved the goldfish to my son's 2gal globe tank and put the female betta in with my others. The crawdads died within two days and the goldfish all died within a week. I still have the female betta and she's healthy and happy. :p

Julez, I'm not sure about putting the barbs and tetras together. Depends on the size of grouping for both. With enough barbs, they may leave the tetras alone and just pick on each other. However, I was discouraged from putting tiger barbs in with my female bettas and I know bettas do pretty okay with the tetras. Maybe someone else has a better answer?

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
I had 2 barbs and a few diff breeds (each had 1 or 2 individual fish) together in the 35 gallon and they got along fine...
But in my tanks, nothing seems to fight! Not that I want them to, of course!
The cichlids, the barbs, the crawfish (except against each other sometimes), and my female betta are all very gentle!
What's the matter with my tanks!?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
It's okay, DarkLies. I had my pretty little steel blue male betta loose in my 45gal with all nine of my females for a week (long story involving a cold house, an acrylic critter carrier thing, and a really dumb idea) and there was no fighting or fin nipping at all. I also tried to breed my crimson male with my black female (before I knew black females are sterile) and was told to watch them constantly and keep them seperated if possible...yeah, the male got out of the little holding tank I set up and ended up palling around with the female the whole time (two weeks, about?). So, you aren't the only one with odd fishes.