What do i do if i do not want my chichlids anymore?

MyFishyTank

Medium Fish
Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys, i don't know what to do i currently have cichlids that i do not want anymore but this fish shops will not take them. The reason why i want to get rid of them is because i have 2 convicts and they are constantly harrassing the other cichlids. I have decided that i want to restart my whole tank and get some neon tetras, or other types of fish. When i bought this tank it came with the cichlids that i have had for a good 2 months know. Please help me.

MyFishyTank

Medium Fish
Apr 13, 2011
hey guys thanks for all the support, today i went to a fish place i have never being before and the guy couldnt believe that they didnt take the fish, I have got rid of the fish and they are in a safe place and i trust the guy very much. Could you please tell me some cichlids that can go together without harming eachother. I really want to fill my tank up again, thanks for everything!!!

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Jewels although they act a bit like SA/CA are actually Africans....

Umm I thought you got rid of the convicts?

If you have a 30g empty I would suggest stocking with mumba or going the route of rams, or kribs.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
yeah they are active, inexpensive don't get too big, aren't real picky about water and you can cram a lot of them in a tank. I honestly think if you avoid tropheous groups you can take a net scoop a bunch of assorted africans out randomly and make a nice tank. Sure you will get some bullys here and there but for the most part they are a really great mix and match fish.

Jewels are hard to keep, they pair and lay eggs they are also as mean as convicts when they spawn. They are reasonably sexable if you go only females you will have less issues, although my female spawns for who im not quite sure. When she lays eggs she guards and refuses to eat and generally gets to looking like a bit of a mess.