What do i do??

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Ah, well that makes more sense. My original thinking was to add more ammonia, not to speed up the cycle. The cycle takes as long as it takes unless you have seasoned filter media. But to increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in the tank after the initial cycling/curing of the liverock. My thoughts were this would allow for immediate stocking with fish as soon as the cycle was over. IE replace the added ammonia with actual fish/bioload.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can assure that you have plenty of bacteria to start stocking with fish. I wouldn't recommend it though as the first 6 months with a marine tank are invariably a time when a variety of things are happening on a very small scale, including normally a sequence of algal blooms. Thus the adage to go slow, to allow things to progress at a fairly sedate pace

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
clowns are not a cheap fish. do a fishless. if you get cured then you can add your clean up crew right away. fist mix the salt water and add the sand. let it all stabalize for a few days, then get the live rock and maybe some hermits and snails, wait 1 or 2 weeks then get some shrimp wait another 1-2 weeks then add fish.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
we just did a 29 gallon sw.we put crushed coral in it.used a undergravel filter,under it.mixed the salt and water,let it filter.that night we put 4 mollys in it,cause thry can be frest or saltwater fish,and there cheap.left it for between 4-5 weeks,and put 2 clowns in in a few days ago.all is good in the tank,and some crabs are on the way....oh ya,and maybe 2 weeks ago,we added some live rock.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
I cycled with 4 or 5 Green/Blue Chromis in a 90G (I planned on keeping them and have them to this day - not aggressive too) but other than cycling with live rock, I think that throwing a few dead shrimp or prawns from the super market into your tank is the most concientious way to cycle.

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Im not sure what you mean,its just a simple sw tank.The guy we bought all of our sw supplies from,said to use it,and he had them in his tanks.he said it just depended if you use sand,or crushed coral,if it would do anything.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well you can make the UGF work, but they are painfully high maintenance. That's why they are no loner highly regarded compared to a berlin method tank built around live rock and a protein skimmer

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Live sand...i eventually become alive, don't bother buying this thing.
I can get 30$ CDN 40 pounds of caribsea fine grain sand ...or 12 $/ pound for "ultra" live sand. A good way to spend a lot of money for nothing. Buying good LR + "dead" sand is way better