what i got today

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
refresh my memory...you used biospira right? Most places have fish guarantees, generally if a fish dies within a day or two of getting it you can return it to the store for a replacement. I would get two. Cories really need to be in groups...but yes they are spastic little guys and 'going nuts' is normal :)

For questions about the livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies) you should check out the livebearer forum. Lotus wrote up a great FAQ and there are lots of posts.

As far as plants go...also check out the plant forum...tons of info there so you dont have to wait for someone to answer your question in this thread :)

The otto is probably very hungry. You put him in a clean tank with no algae. You need to drop in an algae wafer, maybe a slice of zucchini or cucumber for him. The cories would love some shrimp pellets, and they'll eat some flake food that falls to the bottom.

I like to use Tetramin Pro tropical crisps as the staple for most of my fish.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
um yeah i said im gonna return it was just wondering how much water they needed... i think ill just bring a cup of water and the dead fish lol im gonna pic up 2 juli if they replace my one.. and 1 more platy and molly... and is there a better food for my fish.. are u saying the crisps are better... as i want really good for for them..

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Nope, 80 is fine...even up to about 84 I wouldn't worry.

Sorry missed the part about returning it... Make sure to sex your livebearers before you get additional ones. Generally you want to have at least 2 females per male...or all males. Otherwise the males will pester the females to death.

I would just find a container that is clean, rinse it out with tap water then fill it up with tank water. They only need a tiny bit, a cup would be fine.

As for the food...totally up to you. You can check out some threads, we've had the food discussion from time to time. I like the tropical crisps because they seem to be a good quality, all my fish love it and they dont disentigrate into powder just by looking at it wrong like a lot of flake food does. You do need to make sure you have food appropriate for each of your fish though.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i dropped an algea waffer and now the molyys are eating it and being bullies lol there evil!!! danm you petco for selling me demon spawn :p neh i like em there mean but kool there also the bigest of the fish i got...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
The last time I took a dead fish back, I put it in a sandwich bag. You should put it in something airtight, as dead fish smell pretty bad, even after a few hours.

A small cup of water will be fine for them to test. Use an old water bottle or well rinsed soda bottle, and it should be fine.

What size tank is this, and have you checked the water parameters yourself? (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah..pays to drop two algae wafers :) Mollies love their veggies too

Edit: didn't see the 2nd page. The test strips are pretty unreliable and hard to read, you should think about getting all of them in the vial tests sooner or later.

Last edited:

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i can get some next friday or wensday the rest of the money i have id like to put to some more fish first... my tank looks to empty and a few more mollys = a good school... the 2 school but its not that great... and the platy dont seem to school as nicely as the molly

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Live bearers aren't really schoolers. They pretty much do their own thing in the tank, no matter how many of them are in there... Fish like your cories are schoolers and will usually stick together...so if you're looking for schooling fish you may be better off concentrating on another fish. We're talking about a 20G right?

When you say 'after treated' do you mean only dechlorinated or do you do other things to it?