What should I do

Smalltank3

Large Fish
Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
Well, if I ever get a 20g I was planning on getting(3 months ago and still don't have it:rolleyes: ) an all tetra tank with 4 types of tetras(4 of each type) I was thinking of having these:
4 Neon Tetras
4 Bloodfin Tetras
4 Glowlight Tetras
4 Serpae Tetras
2 Otos
So I consider having an all tetra tank if you want schooling or you could go with rasboras like the scissortail or the harlequin.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Well, I have never been into the schooling fish very much, but once you get the water parameters settled down, you might look into glass catfish. THey are an amazing schooling fish. Who can't be interested in see-through fish. They like lots of current, so make sure you've got adequate filtration for them, and good clean water as well.

You can do a lot with a 20 gallon if you keep your fish small. My favorite tank is my 20-gallon long tank. Of course I planted mine like a jungle and then let it grow for a couple years. THe last time I did a major overhaul on it was last July when I moved cross country. Since then it's just grown thick. I should post a pic soon.

I just set up a regular 20 gallon tank. I think it's something like 24" long, 12" front to back, and 15" deep, whatever it is, I believe it's the standard common 20-gallon size. I got the setup for only $1 brand new in Petco minus a hood, which I didn't mind since I always custom make high-light hoods anyway.

SO, to get to my point here, if you wanted to do a few big fish, like I am doing with that tank, then you have some pretty cool fish you could go with, and bigger fish can have more character than smaller fish do. Currently I just have my synodontis euruptus in there with a couple of SAE for the inevitable algae build-up I always have in new high-light tanks. I've got mad light, and know I'll soon have mad algae, but it's a phase. The plan is for 2 discus, but my wife hates the thought of $80 fish. Go figure...

May 4, 2006
Southern Illinois
I have had a glass catfish for about 2 months now, and he is great. They are a schooling fish, but he has done good with my molly, platy, and 2 guppies. He usually hides in this plastic tree stump I have because they don't like a whole lot of light. Recently he has come out more and is currently out more than he is in hiding. He also comes up to the top of the tank to eat, which they're 'supposedally' not suppose to do. He's a real character. It's so cute to watch him feel the other fish with his wiscars since he can't see well, and they think they're going to be prey!! lol. He hasn't grown much since I got him. I know 2 months isn't really long, but so far there is not a noticible difference in his size.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Well over at petsmart they said they are now not selling schooling fish in less then groups of 3 at a time. So that kinda crosses Glass Catfish out because I want maybe a solitary fish to add to my schooling ariety. Wich I have a list of schooling fish that I might be interested in:

Schoolers
Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnow
White Cloud Mountain Minnow
Harlequin Rasbora
Lemon Tetra

Bottom Feeders
Peppered Corydoras Catfish
Albino Corydoras Catfish

Solitary
Dwarf Gourami
Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

If you are able to make a stocking out of the fish I given(not all but some, at least 1 from each catergory) in the list, then tell me.