What should I do

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I liked your idea up further in the thread with the two types of rasboras and the corys. I was going to suggest harlequins because they go great in a tank that size and they're a schooling fish. You'd definitely have to have that tank finished cycling though because they are sensitive to water conditions.

No matter what you decide, I would definitely stick to one or two schools of fish. Your school will be much more impressive and make the tank more attractive...plus you can design it around the needs of one or two types of fish instead of 6 different kinds.

If it were my tank out of the choices you just listed I'd pick 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 5 peppered cories and if you have to have a gourami then the gourami. If you didn't get the gourami I'd get another cory and a couple more harlies.

noncentric

Large Fish
Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Ahh, no minnows. :(

But seriously...I like your second combo better - but just be careful with getting 2 gouramis, because you might end up with some territorial issues if you get 2 males (not always, but sometimes). I think the lemon tetras would be more interesting than the hatchetfish. :)

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
Yeah, I think the tetras would be too. Well I heard that dwarves prefer to be in pairs. Is that true? Yes no minnows, I wanted to breed them but I didn't want to have such a plain tank (although they did have Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows), but I think that tank would look good since there is going to be a little twist, I am getting a peice of drift wood and all the fish will look so good when swimming past it.

tank_angel

Small Fish
May 7, 2006
St.Thomas, Ont
you could try bettas but in most cases they wont do it but mine that i have in one of my 20galons with 15 glowlights they will follow my crowntail everywhere pratically unless my betta hides in a cave or sometihng .. usually sumwaht larger colorfull fish withh usually become school leaders my boesemani rainbow leads my guppys in a 15gal but rainbows are usually ur bestbet

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
UP UP AND GUPPY said:
Yeah, I think the tetras would be too. Well I heard that dwarves prefer to be in pairs. Is that true?
I think they are okay as solitary fish. I don't think it would hurt to have a pair, but I don't think it is a necessity.

Sounds like you have a great plan coming together. Good luck!

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
UP UP AND GUPPY said:
Yeah but I wouldn't be able to supply algae, would they eat bottome feeder wafers?
You ended up with choices that weren't in your original pick-list. :p

Your choices sound good, and I agree that you might be able to add a couple otos. If you don't have a lot of brown algae, then you could supplement their diet with blanched zucchini, cucumber, shelled peas, and some other stuff (not sure what, since mine just get zucchini). I get worried too that my otos aren't getting enough food, but they seem to always have full bellies.

Good luck!

5 Black Neon Tetras
5 Columbian Tetras
5 Neon Tetras