What the heck?????

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
I am still cycling a 2 1/2 gallon tank for a betta fish. All readings are maxed out so I'm just waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the cycle to be over. I just had a look at the tank, which has 1 live plant, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. There are 4 tiny snails in there :eek:. Now I'm assuming they came in with the plant, but how the heck are they surviving in there with ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all maxed out? Now the big question is......Should I get them out of there? I also noticed some rather ugly brown/rust spots on the leaves of my fake, silk plant. Could the snails be responsible for these marks, if not, what do you think is causing them? Thanks in advance for your input :D

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If your ammonia is too high, it may just be prolonging your cycle. You should try doing a couple of water changes. When your cycle is done, you should be able to add a drop of ammonia and then watch as it disappers (with your test kit of course). If the ammonia is maxed out as you say, it could just be prolonging the cycle.

As for the snails, if you've got some already, you probably already have more. They're actually great for betta tanks, they will eat the food your betta misses.

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Well duhhhhhh @ me. I never even thought about algae, I didn't even think it would be a concern this early on in my new set up. Is the one and only live plant I have causing the algae? MissFishy, I just did my tests for today on this tank and another 6 gallon tank I have cycling, and there is (finally :eek:) ) a drop in the ammonia levels, both tanks seem to be on an even keel with their cycles. I will continue to test them daily now that I know something is finally happening, how long do you think it will be now before I can say YAY!!!! cycling is done? Thanks again for your input.

P.S. Both tanks registered 3ppm ammonia, so I added 12 drops of ammonia to each to bring it back up, I will retest it later this evening to see what the levels are

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
12 drops of ammonia to tanks that small sounds like an awful lot. Make sure you are just raising the ammonia levels to 5ppm, otherwise, like I said, you will be prolonging your cycle.

If your tanks are already showing some other readings, it should be 2 weeks or less before they are fully cycled.

Aug 8, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Thanks again for the advice ......apart from the kid who's parents left him home unsupervised ;) Missfishy, it took 12 drops to get it back to 5ppm, as JWright said, my bottle probably has a lower concentration. Hopefully my lil betta ( who is anything but lame, btw :cool: ) will be able to move into his permanent home soon *BOUNCINGS