What to do with dead leather coral?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would imagine a rotting lump of coral is an ideal way to raise nutrients and thus cause a cyano explosion. The presence of metals is pretty minor compared to nitrogen and phosphate compounds

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well in my case, my plumbing is very old and sometimes you can see the rust in the water..and my tests shows no signs of po4. I asked 2 guys and they told me my water was probably full of zinc/copper when i talked about the new coming of cyano.
I should buy good tests kits

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
talked to a guy yesterday about cyano. Wayne is right. Also, he told me that no one should try to burried cyano on the substrate. When you kill it that way, they release deadly toxins.
Can't find a good po4 test kit in my city ! Mine shows 0..but i think it's pretty wrong. I don't have a huge cyano problem..but can't get rid of 2 big patches.
I used to brush + turkey baster and put some nets on my powerheads to get floating cyano..worked. But now with my bubble, i can't. I saw the bubble spitting 2 filamentous cyano stuff yesterday. It wasn't the stress, he was beautiful..and if it was i would have been more slimy and brown ( supposed..friend told me that but..)
I checked the color and texture..same. He was feeding while i sprayed and brushed cyano. Should have notice before. Anyways he's fine, but i need to find a way to get rid of the red killer algae. I read nasty stuff about ultralife red slime remover, like polyps killed etc.
Reduced my light time to 8.5 h and temp 1 degree less than usual. No improvement.
Doesn't looks like i have a load of DOC.
Rowaphos helped me before when i had a real big problem with phosphates..and had black/green/red cyano. Now got only the red killer.
Bubble coral is a big eater so now i'm stucked..if i give phytoplankton/daphne/anything..cyano will grow bigger and bigger.
Don't want to steal your post, but we're in cyano trouble and i am clueless.
For now i'm looking to buy a real skimmer ( bye bye unreliable seaclone ), algae, mangrove, mag drive, and some snails.
My params :
ammonia : 0
phos : 0 ( mhhhh )
nitrite : 0
nitrates : under 5
salinity : 1.024
temp : 79.5 ( will change that..less stuff grows in colder water )
hard : 11 ( high )
Ca : 400-420
ph : 8.2/8.3

Mhh i think i already posted my params...oh well

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
well here is the deal, just because it is reading 0 for phosphate doesnt mean it is wrong, there is just no Phos for it to detect, it is not uncommon for algaes like cyano to use so much phos than when people test for it, it doesnt show up and there like but my phos is 0, well there wrong, you have to find the root of the problem and fix it, rowaphos is a temporary fix, make a list of things you think might be contributing and eliminate them one by one, and once you get it almost gone turn off your lights for 2 full days, your corals should be fine for 2 days with out light and it will really help kill the algae

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
also, while feeding your bubble will definitely help it grow it isn't necessary to feed it a lot...a couple times a week ought to be more than sufficient...and if you feed frozen brine, etc it probably catches its share of that anyway so additional feeding my not even be necessary

i have found nassarius snails to be very very effective in getting rid of cyano (especially on the sandbed) so that might be something to try also...you will need maybe 10 or so in a 55 but at $1 each its not so bad

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
mine cyno problem just seems to come and go, i know it must be beacause of something but it usually just subsides. i have found that a good way to get rid of it is to scoop all your substrate that had the cyno on it, out of the tank. Rinse it well and then pick out the cyno factories, and leave the coral for 2 or 3 days.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I just feed weekly with plankton. Actually my patches of cyano are on two rocks that i can't move, and little bit on piece of rubbles. I used to vaccum when i did water changes, with a vaccum/syphon. Now got almost no place with my zo, kenya tree, star polyps on the bottom. Tnx 4 the answer *ALL*

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You are going to find it nearly impossible to get rid of all your cyano - that stuff has existed for 4 billion years so you guarantee it's pretty tough. Also , jsut live with it, all reefs have some somewhere. I got rid of almost all of mine w/ the standard methods, but still have a small patch lurking between 2 rocks. As long as it stays there ,it's ok.
You have to accept that most test kits are only so so accurate. pH, kH, gH are likely the most likely to be good, the others less so. Unless you want to spend big bucks (and even then it's not guaranteed) don't get hung up on test kit results. I think Deltec are reselling a Merck test kit at a more reasonable cost to hobbyists for P.

A skimmer upgrade from the clone will help you a lot, plus remember it's tough to have to much flow. I tihnk mangroves look great, but don't get too excited about their ability to remove nitrate.

Lumps of rust in your water is a genuine worry. I would expect a distinct red colour to your tank. I took a pieve of lava tuff, and stuck it ina tank with some live rock to see what happened. The lava was rapidly covered in algae compared to the CaCO3, and it was distinctly red rather than green - expect something similar.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I think i'll get a faucet adapter 'cause in my kitchen, the water seems better.
Don't wanna pierce another pipe. Anyways the pressure in my bathroom sucks..take 3-4 h to get a 5 gallon of water with a 100 gpd ( maybe more ).
I had a powerglo running in my tank. Replaced it with an actinic. I'm lowering the wattage for now and i'm down to 7 h/day. I read everything i could find on cyano, and there's no miracle solution. Tnx for the test kits brands.
I checked my tank and noticed something weird. Coralline is taking over cyano patches..looks absurd, but where there's brand new patches, the cyano seems to vanish. Usually i saw coralline under cyano. Maybe just coincidence.
Tanx for the help ( once again ).

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well it's possible the spectrum on the powerglo was off, or maybe it's just less light. I'm not a big fan of treating algae w/ reduced light as all your desirable orgs will suffer more. I find jacking up the pH, KH and SG to be very reliable.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
powerglo was there till late august. I have halogen lamps in the room i and can check well along with mh. Really seems that those patches are shrinking.
Also i reduced progressivly the light time to 7h mh .

My ph is 8.3 and salinity 1.024. Kinda dangerous to go much higher i guess.