what to put in a 1 gal

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
:eek: :eek: :eek: Have you researched the rope fish at all? at ALL??? It gets from 16 to 36 inches long. It likes to have buddies, you should keep at least two. It ain't no neon tetra, buddy. If you don't have at least a 55 to put it in, don't even think about it. :(
So NO, you CAN'T put a rope fish in a one gallon tank!!:eek:

Google is a wonderful tool. Use it.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Okay, maybe I was a little harsh. Sorry. But we do need to research fish and we have the whole Internet full of info on them. Sometimes after we research a fish we still have questions that we can't find answers to and that's where our fellow fishkeepers come in with their personal experience.
Your question just shocked me royally. I have a couple of 1.75 gallon tanks lying around and am reticent to even put a couple of dwarf platies or neon tetras in those tiny things. I have dojo loaches, which only get to about six to eight inches, and there's no way they'd have any room in there by any stretch of the imagination. We gotta give fish room to turn around at least.
And Walmart is known for selling fish that really don't belong in the average home aquarium, as well as giving completely wrong information on these fish, sometimes even labelling them with incorrect names. We can't depend on them to let us know if the fish are appropriate for our aquariums.

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Basically, I'm going to say that just about anything you can get, besides a few ghost shrimp, is going to be miserable in a 1 gallon tank. If you really want something, you could possibly get a small betta, provided that you kept it in a warm room(they like temps 78-82). But you'd have to change the water twice a week...

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
i don't mind the changing. my roommate already looks at me weird when i change the water in my ten gal. i was thinking of ghost shrimp and maybe a molly? or the tiny neons?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Nope - those wouldn't work either as they are tropical fish and need heated water (78 degrees - 82 degrees). The only thing I would think of is a betta as well. Really, those one gallon tanks are too small for anything. :( A betta could *survive* in it, I guess. But surviving isnt the same as flourishing.

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
i had my gourami in it when he was little (he's in a 10 gal now) and he did fine. he grew a bunch and i had to transfer him, plus i got a bigger tank for my graduation present. shrimp are cute. maybe i'll just stick with shrimp

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I'd do it with a plant or two, a couple cherry shrimp and possibly a ramshorn (red or normal, your choice) snail. That's about it. I tend to keep my bettas in 5gal+ tanks, although I would put a lone betta in a 2.5gal minimum if I needed to. They really like to 'patrol' their environment, they don't have the room to do that in tiny tanks, and I don't know about you, but I tend to miss a water change now and then and I would really hate to see a betta suffer in a 1gal if I got busy.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
my beta loves his 1g and he will like his soon to be 2 gal pry better and if i can get some of my cable paid down i think he will enjoy a 5g... but he does seem to enjoy his 1g... just do the water changes weekly 100%