what to put in a 1 gal

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
OK, one more option... I had a 1gal vase to fill, I was just going to leave it empty or just do a plant and a couple shrimp, but then I got to thinking about african dwarf frogs... I've wanted one for a while, hubby said not with his betta, my betta is evil, and the other bettas we have are in temp. setups, so I got one and put him in the vase on my nightstand, works out great, I'm planning on putting in some eco complete and a plant or two later, but for now it's just him, a silk plant, and some of the stupid flat glass marbles. (and some live brine which are just about gone now, he's a happy froggie! :) )

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
If you *had* to keep a betta in the 1g. I would say do small water change every day and a 80-100% water change per week.

I kept a betta in a 2g bowl and he did fine,till I droped him.........
Have one in there now,but am giving him a 3.3 gal with filter and heater this weekend!:cool:

SANND

Large Fish
Jul 20, 2005
Washington, DC
rshxt9 said:
don't the frogs get big? i've seen a few that my friend's mom had and they were huge.
African Dwarfs stay small. I thought they needed a min of 5 gals though?

Is the 1 gal tank a vase? or is it tank shaped? Could you put a small filter on it? How much surface are do you have?

I would put a betta in there with some black sand and at least a java fern, even i can't kill that stuff so you should be fine with it.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's cruel to put some shrimp or a ADF or something in a 1gal. My ADF breathes from the surface, so no worries about oxygenating the water, although I still may give him a filter or pump of some sort, he has PLENTY of room to swim, he seems to be happy, I see no reason it would be considered cruel, maybe if you put a school of tetras in a 1gal, that would be cruel.

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
well i have a fake plant already in there. it's kinda glued to the bottom, so it isn't coming up anytime soon. The frog sound interesting. Is there anything that would go with him or no? also, can i put shrimp in with my blue gouramis and plec?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
no cruelty is when the animal u would have got and taken good care of goes to a home that kills it in less then a week... thats cruelty... if he buys a beta and does his water changes and keeps it alive for a couple of years i would be proud of it...

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
..i'm a girl...i feel slightly offended...oh well.

no more bettas for me. they don't seem to hold up with me.
I might give the frogs a go. I looked at pictures and they look interesting.