Whats eveyones favorite cichlid and why?

Oct 22, 2002
[glow=color,strength,width][/glow] I love them all!I own africans and the yellow labs,regal blue peacocks,frontosa, blue botas,catfish......syntosis something or other?Well i love him too.And yes i know the last 2 were not cichlids!And there are so many more i canot spell. 8)[glow=color,strength,width][/glow]

D

discusaquarium

mine's pretty obvious - discus. i also like the africans, they are have pretty cool colors.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=black,strength,width]Well my favorite would have to be the convict cichlids. They are so easy to breed an have great color too. They are really active and I think they're great. Yeah the africans are great too but I like bigger fish.

I also love the green (turqouise) severums. They too are great. ;D[/glow]

jak

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
HAPS  ;D  HAPS  ;D  AND MORE HAPS ;D ;D
Only from Lake Malawi though, not the Lake Victorian Haps. I do keep lots of Fronts though and some Tropheus moorii K2 which breed like rabbits and some Alto compressiceps but they are the only Tangs I have. Down here in Oz, we are pretty limited to what is available due to import restrictions so I try to focus on rare Haps that get smuggled in and species that are getting lost to the hobby. I have loved and bred Haps since I first started keeping fish over 20 years ago. I will always have a soft spot for them :D :D
Anita

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Here's a pic of the severum. This is the male but the female is a yellowish and orange color. I will look for more pictures of them and post one of the female later.

Oct 22, 2002
My bud is looking at getting a tank and some cool aggresive fish. Is the severum an aggresive fish?What do they eat?How large do they get?Also is there anything out of the ordinary that should be known before picking one up?Also are they very expensive? Later dude   :eek:

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pseudotropheus Demasoni males are my favorite. I also like blue haps when they get bigger, venestus, elongatus etc... Lake Malawi cichlids mostly...

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[quote author=ThirdMikem link=board=cichlid&num=996351277&start=0#11 date=07/31/01 at 17:14:18]
My bud is looking at getting a tank and some cool aggresive fish. Is the severum an aggresive fish?What do they eat?How large do they get?Also is there anything out of the ordinary that should be known before picking one up?Also are they very expensive? Later dude   :eek:
[/quote]

Well, the Severum is a moderately aggressive fish......but, be warned it can
still kill quite a lot of other fish.........it is still a dargerous fish........Well, here i will
go to a story about my severum.......Ok once when
i was cleaning my tank my 8 inch female severum
decided that  she wanted a bite of my hand
when i was cleaning
her tank............chomp
unexpectically she shot after my
hand bit it and drew blood :eek:So,
yes i would say
it is an aggressive fish. ;D
They eat i diet of Plant food,
flakes if small enough,
pellets, and pretty much
everything else 8)
The torquoise strain will get
about 8 inches and the reg and
gold strain can
get up to a foot
8)
Yes, if the severum tha you
plan on purchasing has a
white/ clear bubble on
the lower or at all
any fins DO NOT BUY IT 8)
Not really i got a 6 incher at
my LFS and where about,
6-12$ a fish so .....
NO

Well, Best of luck to you,

-  Daniel

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
There's a profile of the turqoise severum at http://www.aquariacentral.com if that helps. If your bud wants some really aggressive fish he should get some oscars! But they reguire a very big tank. About a 75+ gallon. An 80 gallon would do good for a pair. Oscars can get up to 14 inches and they eat anything smaller than them you through into the tank! They are very interesting fish too. If he does decided to get them he won't be dissapointed. Just remember to get a huge tank! ;D

catfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have an aggressive tank.  I have mixed Severums, Jack Dempseys, rainbow cichlids, a jewel cichlid, pictus cats, 4-line pimedolla, rainbow shark,  black shark, abramite headstander, lima shovelnose  and one of my favorites blood parrots.  Yes I know they are not natural, but they are healthy and great to watch.  The largest severum is the king of the tank, although all of them are pretty aggressive fish in my tank.  I've held off on getting an oscar because they tend to make a mess of the tank, but they can have some awesome personalities.

Convicts are also very aggressive, especially if you have a breeding pair, I've seen them hold fish 4 times their size to a corner of the tank when they were breeding.   :)

Most of the aggressive fish get fairly large, tell your bud he'll want a large tank at some point, if not to start out with.

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hmm...oscars are too gorgeous...and kribs are lil breeding machines which is cool...I've never kept african coz theyr'e so d@mn expencive here. So I'm going with the oscars :-*

Oct 22, 2002
::) I bought a 6" albino oscar. I am not a big fan of oscars but next to my arowana he looks cool.I am watching them to make sure the get along.They seem ok so far!!!! 8)