Whats eveyones favorite cichlid and why?

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
8) Bluegill are the best cichlids ever. They are easy to keep and obtain.  My 5 year old is absolutly beautiful.  Severums and other assorted sunfish are second. Disus are cool looking but to hard for me, aleast right know. *thumbsupsmiley*

P

Padme

Mine would have to be convicts (easy to breed), oscars (cute face) and Julidochromis dickfeldi (one of the most beautiful cichlids I've seen). *twirlysmiley*

Jin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'm a big fan of rams.  I have 6 in my 90-gallon tank.  (I should probably get 2 more females however.  No one at my LFS was able to tell we which were male/female so I have 2 extra males...at least I think one of them is male.  He has odd coloration.)

Anyway...

They have great coloration & all of mine are always, well I guess, ramming each other.  It's fun to watch them back up & but heads.  I also have a few angelfish.

If I were to do an African tank, I really like what I've seen of yellow labs & purple parrots (I think that's what they were called).  Not sure on much beyond that.

Oscardude

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oscars are my favorite.  Each one is so unique. And they act so different toward other people.  Mine will not eat if anybody besides me and my wife are watching him.  

Convicts are cool. I had a convict that was about 3in. and he kept attacking my 10in Oscar.  so I took him out

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Yeah, a big one. At the lab we had a 14" gold Severum that lived in the 200gallon filter sump, eating all the fathead minnow fry that got sucked into it.

Personally, my favorate is albion tiger oscars. When they're babies they're just too cute!
~~Colesea